PSOne screen modding question

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

egomine
PSOne screen modding question

Post by egomine » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:08 am

In the neverending newbie attempt to build my NESp from Ben's book I starting working on the PSOne mod last night. It's really very thrilling working with tweezers, holding your breath, and sitting in a clean room with CSI sytle plastic gloves on (well at least to this newbie anyway).

So the question is I have opened it, switched out the light (which is a ton of fun to hold onto and walk around carpets in the dark - need socks) for the LEDs, put the light box back together and now it's time to re-wire the LEDs. Ben's book just says to attach them so here is where the newbie (should be an offical forum titlechoice by the way) questions come in as the picture does not show any close ups of anything for this process. A side picture closup would have helped extremely.

1. Do we cut the LED leads down? I'm assuming we don't bend them as Ben instructed us to cut extra metal away from the leads (newbie assumes this is to avoid contact and shorts, and the leads are quite long.

2. It appears the grounded ends are all connected off of each other (like a chain from LED to LED) and then to the ground. However the other ends that are to be soldered to the hot glued on resistor only show two wires connecting to it instead of the three the text would make a newbie expect to see. Is this because the two on the right are chained together like the ones that attach to the ground?

3. FinallyI think the book should have listed some tin snips or something in the tool section for cutting off the metal corners of the light box. "Light box" don't that sound all offical and stuff.

Thanks guys.

egomine

Post by egomine » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:57 pm

Has anyone modded a PSOne screen in the method of Ben's book that may have an answer or picture they could post?

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:09 pm

About #2... Its a parallel conection so all the ground are put togeather, all the positives are put togeather, then 5v is put through the postive through a resistor. About the 2 wire thing, the setup is daisy chained. So what you said was right.

egomine

Post by egomine » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:23 am

thanks a ton.