Ben's projects - case design

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

scottz29
Ben's projects - case design

Post by scottz29 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 pm

Wondering if anybody here is following any of Ben's case design "by the book", and having the case parts done by using the support files he's provided.

I was going to do the Atari 2600 CNC and was wondering whether to buy the case parts from Ben, or try to save a buck and try to have them made myself. Or, even better, if somebody's had these pieces cut already, and had quantities made to save money (seems most prudent from what I've learned so far), and would like to sell me a set for a reasonable cost, please let me know.

If not, I have some questions about the files, and anybody's personal experiences with this would be appreciated.

limpport

Post by limpport » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:17 pm

Go to the place you would plan to get the CNC-ing done. Do some math and figure out how much it will cost you to get it done there, and compare it to Ben's prices. I'm sure Ben's products will be of very high standards, though.

scottz29

Post by scottz29 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Ok, I should have mentioned that I visited a place today, and the impression I got was that the guy seemed less than eager to do the project, although his shop was fully capable of creating everything I needed. He even sold arcade games, so I thought he'd be more receptive to a hobby project like this, but ... not so much. He just argued with me and complained about file layouts and such, and all the work he'd have to do to prep the project... bla bla. Seems like he didn't know what he was doing. (Of course, this guy owns a sign shop...I can't expect a rocket scientist)

Anyway, it seemed only economical if I made all the parts in quantity, which makes perfect sense. Something like $80 for 1 set, and maybe $120-150 for 10 sets of parts, assuming I had enough material for 10 sets (many of the parts are small and I may be able to fit all that on a single sheet of engraving stock).

What I was hoping for, was if anyone else had actually successfully gone the CNC laser engraving route a-la Ben Heck, and what their personal experience was.
If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.