Book Marketing

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:48 pm

Ben wrote:If you're still reading this, I guess you didn't throw the book across the room in disgust. Thanks for understanding!
:lol: :lol:
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:Here's a quick recap of important stuff you've learned in this chapter:
-It's hard to open a mini-SNES case!
And truer word were never spoken...
-Luke

EmreNU

Post by EmreNU » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:06 am

Woohoo, it worked :) Good job on Popular Science, Ben!

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:25 pm

Yeah, now Im going to have to go to a nearby bookstore... Sweet!

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:10 pm

I just hope all the projects work!

My favorite pic in the whole thing is the "I love Hot Glue" one... you'll know it when you see it.

Soon the book will be here...

s3ptic

Post by s3ptic » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 pm

Looks like the news has been circulating the web. Kotaku, also has an article about the book here.
Hopefully it will be widely available soon. I went to a Borders Books on Saturday and they didn't have it, so I went to a Barns And Nobles, but they didn't have it either. They did however say that they had had two copies, but sold both. Hopefully they'll have a lot more in their next shipment.

BTW anyone live in The California Bay area and pick up a copy from Baystreet? :?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:53 pm

the people who commented on the article about bens book on ExtremeTech (one in particular) said some stupid and somewhat offensive things in my opinion. here is the post "It's amazing to read about adults resorting to the sort of butchery normally the province of 8-year-olds as they break their toys.

It's even worse to read about it in ExtremeTech. Giving professional level credibility and publicity to barely adolescent behavior and borderline comprehension of involved technologies certainly impacts the reputation of Extreme Tech.

Why not perform these mods using the appropriate tools and accepted methods of electronic and mechanical engineering instead of the MTV-"Viva La Bam-ish" bash it and break it open type of workmanship?

I used to be able to count on that level of professionalism, but now I don't know." so he is basically calling all of us portablizers "8-year-olds" and unprofessional and childish! he doesnt seem to understand that ben isnt writing this book like a dry,boring technical manual. he is writing it so people can understand it and have fun learning how to make portables (its called HUMOR) the stupid guy from this post just doesnt understand :roll:

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:01 pm

Dont swea it. Hes most obviously a noob (Ahh! The childish 8 year old word burns!) He obviously dosnt have the skills to do something as cool as this, and hes making fun of it to make himself look cool.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:16 pm

*sigh* i feel sorry for al the poor ignorant fools who dont see the light of Bens glory :D i think he looked and saw the pic of ben ripping open the snes with his bear hands and did the stupid thing and ASSUMED that we are unprofessional 8 year old children who use l33t sp33k and say stuff like "OMFG d00d! u r t3h l33t !!!!11. xB0x p0rtabl3! w00t!@1" lol

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:20 pm

Triton wrote:*sigh* i feel sorry for al the poor ignorant fools who dont see the light of Bens glory :D i think he looked and saw the pic of ben ripping open the snes with his bear hands and did the stupid thing and ASSUMED that we are unprofessional 8 year old children who use l33t sp33k and say stuff like "OMFG d00d! u r t3h l33t !!!!11. xB0x p0rtabl3! w00t!@1" lol
/\/\@|\|, ! |)()|\|| 6&| \^/|-|y |>&()|>|_& |-|@\/& |() |@|_|\{ |_!|\{& ||-|!$... ||-|&y ||-|!|\||\{ ||-|&|2& $() (()()|_... @|-|... ||-|&y\'|2& _||_|$| @ 8|_||\|(|-| ()|= |\|()()8$!!11one1!eleventy!one!1

poopiesman

Post by poopiesman » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:20 pm

erm...thats too dumb for me to understand...what the heck did you just say? a rough translation would be nice. so far I have the "Man, dont" part...

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:41 pm

I cant even read it so dont ask me... It say something along the lines of, those guys insulting bens work are a bunch of noobs.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 pm

HK-47 wrote:(()()|_... @|-|... ||-|&y\'|2& _||_|$| @ 8|_||\|(|-| ()|= |\|()()8$
Cool...Ah... ????????? a Bunch of newbs...
That's all I got :? :wink:
-Luke

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Guys who insult portablizing have no idea what they are missing...pity them, and hope that they see the light :)

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:08 pm

Well, something I've thought about is when you release something on a wide scale (and this is the first time for me) you're going to have people ripping on your work. Remember: those who can't do something teach, and those who can't teach criticise.

Speaking of ripping, removing half the screw post and RIPPING open the SNES IS the fastest way... I guess humor flies over some people's heads.

Some uber-geeks may find my book a little "homegrown" and simplistic, but that's because I wrote it for more than just uber-geeks.