"Easiest" to build?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Monsterbox
"Easiest" to build?

Post by Monsterbox » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 am

So, I recently purchased Ben's book and have read through it a couple of times to get up-to-speed (relatively) on the tools and techniques. The NESp is the first project in the book and I have an extra NES that I had laying around, so I decided to give it a shot. So, I've desoldered the power plug connection and am working on the expansion port and RF box.

As I've been doing this, I'm wondering if the NES is really the easiest of the bunch to make into a portable. Would I make better and faster progress trying one of the other systems first? Seeing results (even if they're small results) in a relatively quick fashion is usually important to me when I'm first getting into a hobby, etc, so I'm wondering if I might not be more successful with one of the other projects first.

Anyone care to chime in and suggest what the first project should be, even if it is the NESp?

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 am

I'd go with a ps1p, beacuse it all you have to do with the ps1 to get audio and video working is desolder av and power jack, wire it up. I think with the nes so have to remove the RF box and do a ton of crap like that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Believe it or not the SNES hand-built is the easiest. Unlike the PSonep the SNES has few buttons that need to be taken in to account, has no CD-Rom that has to be moved, and the case is built around the motherboard instead of the other way around.

The PSonep does come in a close second, but for all the reasons mentioned above it's better for newbies. If you want using Ben's book as the basis you can get more information from the NOAC NESp Ben built and make one your self. The NOAC NES portables are the easiest to make bar none. But again if you're going to stick with the book and build word for word, go with the SNES.

And please search in the future, we have had this question asked before.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Sparkfist, doesn't the snes have a realy complicate controller though, and are you saying that ben builds his ps1p's motherboard around the case?!
:lol:

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm

The snes controller is not that complicated.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Really, when I glanced at the sychmnatic (sp?) of the controller in ben's book it looks flipping impossible. Maybe I need to take a closer look.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:11 pm

you could always solder directly onto the original controller board onto the button contacts. thats super easy.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:33 pm

you know the Hand made NESp is not that hard either >_>.

My first portable will be the NESp ive been working on. Sure you have to desolder some parts but thats easy to do.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Rellizate wrote:Really, when I glanced at the sychmnatic (sp?) of the controller in ben's book it looks flipping impossible. Maybe I need to take a closer look.
Ben just hasn't made it that clear. I coul've sworn I saw another clearer schematic floating round the web. *coughgamex.comcough :wink: *

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Meh, well I take what I said back. Completly ignore my post people.

:p

I guess I don't know much about nes and snes then.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:22 pm

NESp, but the PS1p could be easiest cuz you could do an new model, than you would only need a battery mod.

Monsterbox

Post by Monsterbox » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks very much guys. I'm going to keep plugging away at the NESp, but I think I will also spring for either a SNES or PSOne to start on as well at the same time. So I can switch back and forth if my interest starts to flag. I have an original Playstation (the big old school one) but I'm not yet enough of an electronics wizard to fool with it. Though it is sitting out of it's casing on my desk and still working.

mmmmmmm stray capacitance..... yummy