Got some question's for the CNC NES project

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Krip
Got some question's for the CNC NES project

Post by Krip » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:32 pm

I've got a couple question's about the CNC built NES from the book. There various question's/problem's so I figured this was the thread to be in?

Anyway, My 1st question has been buggin' me-- Where does the A/V jack go when your done with the project? Nowhere between pages 175-227 does it tell you what to do with it? During the screen mode, you desolder it then reattach it. Thats the last time it's talked about until the end when you have to attach a couple more wires from it then thats it?! :?

Second, after 3 months, I finally got my CNC NESp done (not yet screwed together). When I powered it up, the pic below is what I get :x . A grey screen at first then vertical lines of different colors appear. The pic shows black 'n blue but it actually is different colors. The brightness control doesn't help.
Image.
The pic is a little blurry but you should get the point.

I'm somewhat electronics savvy but troubleshooting is my downfall. I haven't messed with any eletronics for over 10 years. If you can tell me what could be wrong that would be great! But please if you do, please explain how to do it. Example, if you say "check to see if power is going to __"-- Please explain how-to. If you want to pm me, go for it.

Oh! 1 last thing, Does it matter if the tv screen's power switch is on VHF or UHF? I used Casio's EV-680 tv from the book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:17 pm

When you press volume up or down does the icon appear clearly?

Krip

Post by Krip » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:54 am

joevennix wrote:When you press volume up or down does the icon appear clearly?
What icon? Nothing happens when I press volume. When the volume is all the way up, I do hear a hum noise. By the way, I was messing with the ribbon cable and now the screen is black except the LED's??? No lines anymore. LED's are still bright.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Check that your ribbon cable is in all the way, or in correctly.
Hey, sup?

Krip

Post by Krip » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Check that your ribbon cable is in all the way, or in correctly.
I tried every way you could think of putting in the cable.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Okay, a blank black screen is better than a white screen or one with lines (I'm assuming you mean black as in "turned on but isn't displaying anything", and not black as in "not powering up at all".) I know it's almost by rote that I ask these questions, but let's make sure we cover what we do and do not know: Do you have correct voltage going to the screen and system? Is the ground for your screen connected to the ground for your system and the ground for the batteries? Are you sure you connected to the right spot for ground for each of those three items? Solid connections between video out of your system and video in on the screen?

I think we can pinpoint what's up if we get those answered. Take clean, close pics of what you've soldered and connected so far if you're still stumped. We'll definitely be able to help you out faster if we can see what's going on.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:52 am

Oh, wait. I was assuming you were using a PSOne screen, in which icons appear when you press the volume up/down buttons. Take some good pics of the insides, that would probably help a lot.

Krip

Post by Krip » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:51 pm

OK guys, sorry for taking so long, been busy. I tried my best to get good close pics. My camera was acting up. They could be better but you should be able to get the point. If there is a specific part you want a pic of, let me know. All links open in a new window.

To joedog86: Your correct, it is black as in "turned on but isn't displaying anything". You must understand, I follow direction's very well (thats why I got the book. I have no idea how to build a portable without it.) but I do not know how to test for correct voltage??? What is the correct voltage to the screen and system? How do I test it? As for the ground connection's, check the pics.

joevennix: I built the CNC NES which used the Casio 3" screen.

Check the following pics...

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00435.jpg" target="_blank">1. Corner of NES board w/ 7805 regulator</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00434.jpg" target="_blank">2. Built-in controller connection's on Nes board</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00433.jpg" target="_blank">3. size K coaxial power jack connection's</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00429.jpg" target="_blank">4. Lower board of the tv, parts side</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00417.jpg" target="_blank">5. Lower board of tv, non parts side</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00426.jpg" target="_blank">6. Rear of Control board</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00424.jpg" target="_blank">7. Front of Control Board</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00423.jpg" target="_blank">8. On/Off power switch connection's</a>

<a href="http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/Ima ... c00402.jpg" target="_blank">9. Bottom row of pins on the NES board</a>

As you can see, I followed the book to a "T". Please let me know if there is anything else you need and I hope you can help.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 am

What are you currently using to power the system? Batteries or power adapter?

To check what voltage is going where, get a multimeter, set the dial to voltage (or however you do it on your particular one - mine's digital so I press a button), and put the red probe to where the power is going into the system and the black prong anywhere that's ground (assuming you have all your grounds connected like you should :wink: ) If you need to know more about using one, do some google searches. Actually, you have the book, right? Everything you need to know about using a multimeter is in the beginning section.

As for what's the correct voltage, the book should thoroughly explain that. Since it seems the NES is running off of a 7805, then I suppose it needs 5 volts. As for the casio screen, I don't know - but the book should explain that pretty thoroughly. I'd quote from it but I don't have it with me here - it's 100 miles away right now.

Also, thanks for taking pics! Anybody that's done an NES know what's up?

Krip

Post by Krip » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:53 am

joedog86 wrote:What are you currently using to power the system? Batteries or power adapter?

To check what voltage is going where, get a multimeter, set the dial to voltage (or however you do it on your particular one - mine's digital so I press a button), and put the red probe to where the power is going into the system and the black prong anywhere that's ground (assuming you have all your grounds connected like you should :wink: ) If you need to know more about using one, do some google searches. Actually, you have the book, right? Everything you need to know about using a multimeter is in the beginning section.

As for what's the correct voltage, the book should thoroughly explain that. Since it seems the NES is running off of a 7805, then I suppose it needs 5 volts. As for the casio screen, I don't know - but the book should explain that pretty thoroughly. I'd quote from it but I don't have it with me here - it's 100 miles away right now.

Also, thanks for taking pics! Anybody that's done an NES know what's up?
So, by looking at the pics, you don't have any idea's whats wrong? I have both battery & power adapter. Modified 3300mAh NiMH battery and a universal adapter. I use the battery more, it's more convenient.

OOPS! :shock: I think I skipped that section. I was too excited to get a portable done! :P I didn't think I would need it. I was WAYYYYYYYYY wrong!!! I'll have to do a refresher course in multimeter reading. :D

I see you talk a lot about ground connection's, by sight, they look fine. What would I look for if the ground connection is bad? Am I going to get a bad reading?

By the way, when I power the system, I notice that the 2 resistors for the LED mod heat up a lot. Is that normal?

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 pm

IIRC, ben suggests a 10 ohm resistor in the book. Get a 22er.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:27 pm

Klefmung wrote:IIRC, ben suggests a 10 ohm resistor in the book. Get a 22er.
Or just wire two 10ers in series. :wink:

CTFan

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:53 pm

Or just use the proper resistor calculated by this site: http://metku.net/?sect=view&n=1&path=mo ... /index_eng. That would make more sense.

It's okay if the resistor gets hot, just make sure you have it glued down well so it won't come loose.

I'm afraid I personally can't help you any further because I've never done an NES portable myself. I wouldn't know what else to troubleshoot for aside from basic mistakes that everyone makes.

If you don't have a proper ground connection, whatever you're building just won't turn on. For example, let's say your screen is connected properly but the NES doesn't have a proper ground connection. That way, your screen would turn on but the NES wouldn't. Try connecting somewhere else on the board for ground if you think it's that.

Hmmm, what else could it be? You have the 7805 connected the right way?

Krip

Post by Krip » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Klefmung wrote:IIRC, ben suggests a 10 ohm resistor in the book. Get a 22er.
Or just wire two 10ers in series. :wink:

CTFan
2 10ers are in series???? :? As long as its ok for them to heat up, then nevermind about the resistors.

Anybody who has done the CNC NES project from the book, please help if possible. Ben are you there??? :wink:

Krip

Post by Krip » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:03 pm

joedog86 wrote:Or just use the proper resistor calculated by this site: http://metku.net/?sect=view&n=1&path=mo ... /index_eng. That would make more sense.

It's okay if the resistor gets hot, just make sure you have it glued down well so it won't come loose.

I'm afraid I personally can't help you any further because I've never done an NES portable myself. I wouldn't know what else to troubleshoot for aside from basic mistakes that everyone makes.

If you don't have a proper ground connection, whatever you're building just won't turn on. For example, let's say your screen is connected properly but the NES doesn't have a proper ground connection. That way, your screen would turn on but the NES wouldn't. Try connecting somewhere else on the board for ground if you think it's that.

Hmmm, what else could it be? You have the 7805 connected the right way?
joedog86, thanks for trying and the info. I'll just have to get out the 'ol dusty college electronics books and figure this out. Any help from anybody would still be great!

Anybody who has successfully done the CNC NES project from the book, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! BEN please help!!!