Questions from a newbie...

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

thejellydude
Questions from a newbie...

Post by thejellydude » Sat May 27, 2006 9:16 am

Okay, first of all,I'm thinking of getting Ben's book over the summer, but I have a few questions first.
1. How many hours a day do you think it will take me? Granted this is my FIRST time with portablising.
2. What system is recomended?
3. Should I use tact switches, or try to use an actual controller? I know tact switches are useful, but games that have the "Harder push = Farther jump," won't work from what I've heard.
4. How much will this cost me? Just saying, at my local gamestop they have PSONE (Minis) + Screen for $50.
I might have more questions later. Thanks for any help! :D

*Edit*
Okay, I just thought of 1 more question, what If I can't get a SONY ps1 screen? Are there any that work just as well?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Questions from a newbie...

Post by vskid » Sat May 27, 2006 10:17 am

thejellydude wrote:Okay, first of all,I'm thinking of getting Ben's book over the summer, but I have a few questions first.
1. How many hours a day do you think it will take me? Granted this is my FIRST time with portablising.
3. Should I use tact switches, or try to use an actual controller? I know tact switches are useful, but games that have the "Harder push = Farther jump," won't work from what I've heard.
4. How much will this cost me? Just saying, at my local gamestop they have PSONE (Minis) + Screen for $50.

*Edit*
Okay, I just thought of 1 more question, what If I can't get a SONY ps1 screen? Are there any that work just as well?
Answers
1. Depends on how hard you work and experience in electronics, case making, etc. Also depends on how good you want it to be.
2. I don't know, post a few that you would like to portablize, you don't want to waste time making something you won't use.
3. I think it depends on the system, some else will have to answer this.
4. It depends on if you are careful or not. It also depends on what system. From what I've heard, $100-$250 is about average.
5. PSone screen is the most desireable, I think hip gears are good, too.

Klefmung

Re: Questions from a newbie...

Post by Klefmung » Sat May 27, 2006 11:39 am

thejellydude wrote:Okay, first of all,I'm thinking of getting Ben's book over the summer, but I have a few questions first.

*Edit*
1. About 2 hours a day, maybe a month will give you a book style portable.
2. I suggest NES handbuilt. Great system, great games, not too hard to do, or the PSOne handbuilt. This one is easy to work with too, and still great games
3. Use tact switches unless you want to do some major pcb cutting. (Really hard to do accurately)
4. The book gives you a general idea of that. Reference it.
5. For strict by the book projects, I say do the screen recommended.

For custom projects, that is your own descision on all of the above counts. As a rule of thumb, the first portable is the most expensive, so get it out of the way.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

thejellydude

Post by thejellydude » Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks for all the help. How long would the battery on this thing PROBABLY last? I don't want to spend forever building something that lasts under 1 hour. Also, what is the cheapest place to get Ben's book? I'm not trying to rip him off or anything, but I'm under 16 and can't get a job, and with the prices for these things, I need to save all the money I can :? .
Also, for on the board, I'm kinda new to this, (Parents finally took off all there blocks and crap) so how do I make an avatar, and put pics. in my sig?

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Mon May 29, 2006 4:29 pm

thejellydude wrote:
Also, for on the board, I'm kinda new to this, (Parents finally took off all there blocks and crap) so how do I make an avatar, and put pics. in my sig?
for your avatar and sig you nead to find a photo hoasting website host the images.

Http://photobucket.com
http://imageshack.us

Then for the avatar use the dirsct url link.

and for a photo annyware else use the Img link.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Mon May 29, 2006 5:47 pm

thejellydude wrote:Thanks for all the help. How long would the battery on this thing PROBABLY last? I don't want to spend forever building something that lasts under 1 hour. Also, what is the cheapest place to get Ben's book? I'm not trying to rip him off or anything, but I'm under 16 and can't get a job, and with the prices for these things, I need to save all the money I can :? .
If you don't like the battery life, parallel wire two of them.
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue May 30, 2006 11:59 am

Look for batteries with very high mAh. It would probably be in your best interest to sink some money into getting some energizer rechargeables that have something like 2500 mAh. I just use those for everything. For a typical system (atari, snes, etc.) that'll last at least a couple of hours, if not more.

Honestly - and this goes to everyone who is looking into starting up on portabilizing - I've noticed that the cost per portable goes down the longer you do this. The first system I tried was a super nintendo, which didn't work and still doesn't, but probably cost me the most because I had to buy all the tools to make it. Once you've done this long enough, you eventually build up enough spare parts that you can save some money instead of having to run to RadioShack every five minutes for one dinky little part. I'd guess that starting from scratch, the average person will spend around $200+ on their first portable, and after that the price would go down quite a bit depending on what you're making.

Also, since no one's mentioned it yet, the 5" Zenith screen for GameCube, XBox, and Playstation2 are all the exact same as the Sony PSOne screen. I know from experience, and they work great. Plus, they're easier to find on eBay for a good price. I've seen a couple of used ones for $25 before.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

thejellydude

Post by thejellydude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:18 am

Also, about Ben's kitsn his website. Do they include everything needed to make the portable other than the system and screen, or just the case for it all?
*Edit*
Is there any way to delete a double post?
Last edited by thejellydude on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

thejellydude

Post by thejellydude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:18 am

Also, about Ben's kitsn his website. Do they include everything needed to make the portable other than the system and screen, or just the case for it all?

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:44 am

Just the case, but it is the worst part.

thejellydude

Post by thejellydude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:28 am

Hmm... Is a case really that hard to make? Is it worth $55-100 for Ben to make it?

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:43 am

It depends whether you do a CNC or handbuilt project. I really hate cutting engraving plastic with a X-Acto.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:41 pm

Ben's cases "by hand" are pretty difficult to get "perfect". I'd suggest making a couple of your own design first using bent aluminum and engraving plastic or plexiglass to get an idea of how it all works.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!