Automated Wire Strippers

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj
Automated Wire Strippers

Post by demonofaj » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:04 pm

You know those strippers you read about in the basics section...the one that is auto and it strips and pulls for you? I never actually understood which STORE to go to? Any help? (I don't want to strip 32 wires manually :x )
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:24 am

are you sure they exist
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:31 am

This is the only one I know of:

http://www.gardnerbender.com/

Goto: Products>Hand Tools

Then look at Automatic Stripper & Crimper.

PS: Check eBay

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:49 am

Not electric ones...I don't know how to explain it, like if you just squeeze it the wire is stripped and you just pull and then a stripped wire...can I get 'em at Home Depot? Goin today to help my dad with some plumbing.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 am

Might as well check for them at Home Depot. Just as a employee or look online at homedepot.com.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:07 am

Are you thining of that thing they advertized on TV? It looked like a giant pair of pliers and they showed it stripping 5 wires at once. I think it came free with the Cold Heat soldering tool.

I'm not sure where to get that.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:46 am

Yea, I once saw that, but it's probably a scam and you have to 'preset' crap...the Home Depot one is 26$!

I guess I have to manually strip 64-72 wires :(

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm

demonofaj wrote:Yea, I once saw that, but it's probably a scam and you have to 'preset' crap...the Home Depot one is 26$!

I guess I have to manually strip 64-72 wires :(
It's really not of a problem. With practice, you'll be able to do a relocation in an hour or less. I just did a 48 pin N64 cart relocation in 30 minutes, with occasional dance breaks in between of course. :P

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Makes it seem better :)...but the IDE cable is thin...but cheese is thin...so the answer is CHEESE... :P

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

demonofaj wrote:Makes it seem better :)...but the IDE cable is thin...but cheese is thin...so the answer is CHEESE... :P
:shock:

Tee hee, you can always go to a local electronics shop, see if the have non-computer ribbon cable.

dankicksass

Post by dankicksass » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 pm

I don't know if this is a moot point by now, but typically these are what's referred to as automatic wire strippers. They're usually about $9-$14 and can be had at electronics stores and home centres. They'll strip about four or five wires from IDE at a time.
Image<<Click for $9.95 tool>>
I don't like forum signatures.

loup

Post by loup » Sat May 13, 2006 8:47 pm

This is an automatic wire stripper that I've had for a while now, there are newer, better ones out there now. it strips any wire from 8 guage to 22 guage, not suitable for stripping ide cable wire, but I've seen some around that will strip down to 32 guage. You just stick the wire in the jaws, squeeze the handle and it strips the wire.

From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Tue May 16, 2006 9:06 pm

My stepfather bought me the Cold Heat soldering iron for my birthday last year (2 years ago? Don't remember now...) and I got the strippers you're talking about as a free gift. After only a few uses, they were both broken. The tip of the soldering iron is made of some type of ceramic and therefore quickly broke in half. Plus it never really worked that well to begin with. It gets WAY too hot for electronics and it only heats when the two ceramic tips are both touching a conductive object... this makes it very unreliable due to microgaps. Oh, and it's too large for electronics, too.

As for the strippers... well... they aren't much better in terms of durability. They worked great though. I was pretty easy to strip any gauge of wire I tried with it... but it quickly broke (plastic piece, not easily fixable) after an RJ-11 connector got caught in it while I was trying to cut it off the wire I had just crimped it on. Maybe others will work better... but I don't recommend these...

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:31 pm

lol I just is my teeth to strip wires, only bad part is you get a taste a metal in your mouth.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 pm

industrial tool sites should have them but they arent cheap last time i looked for one it was over 100 bucks.