Automated Wire Strippers

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:54 pm

demonofaj wrote:Yea, I once saw that, but it's probably a scam and you have to 'preset' crap...the Home Depot one is 26$!

I guess I have to manually strip 64-72 wires :(
I got one at the dollar store, it worked for a while then just stopped stripping wires.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:21 pm

vb_master wrote:
demonofaj wrote:Yea, I once saw that, but it's probably a scam and you have to 'preset' crap...the Home Depot one is 26$!

I guess I have to manually strip 64-72 wires :(
I got one at the dollar store, it worked for a while then just stopped stripping wires.
Yeah I got one at Marc's (closeout store) for like $1.25 and it worked for a while before stopping. I think it got dull or something.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:42 pm

all you need is something like this:

http://www.dynavector.com.au/images/kim ... ripper.jpg

it strips wires just as fast as any fancy mechanical "automatic wire stripper" :roll:. you can adjust how far the close so you will never cut the wire off.

close and pull. close and pull.

i stripped both ends of 30 wires like this for my NES cart reader and soldered them, it took less then an hour.

they dont break very easy either.

(but seriously, what do you think the difference between "manual" and "automatic" wire stripping is... )

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

PadMasta44

Post by PadMasta44 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm

I got a pair of those crappy red ones with my cold heat pro. The wire stripper outlasted the solder tool. No surprise there :roll:

Once the stripper broke, i was devastated. They had worked so well.
I then remembered seeing a pair at Wal-Mart that were blue. Around $10.
Got those; they felt heavier that the P.O.S. red ones and so far, are still working perfectly.
Although you DO have to have a technique for small gauge wire. Such as bus wire.
I've screwed myself over before when estimating the length of wire to leave for "stripping attempts".

This one's same thing from a visual standpoint as the one I have. Mine's blue though.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-AUT ... 64-7055369

I'd check out Wal-Mart first before settling on this pair.
It's been a while since I've gotten on here.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:35 pm

ATOMICMAN wrote:industrial tool sites should have them but they arent cheap last time i looked for one it was over 100 bucks.
Teeth ?

:lol:

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:28 pm

I get most hardware things for half price :) I had those stripper things before but never liked them.

Grandparents own a hardware store :D

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:59 pm

I have a really cool pair that act as regular snippers, but you can put a wire in the back, and close it, and little arms come out and grab the rubber part of the wire, stripping it. It's really helpful, I've never had to adjust it or anything. Let me see if I can find a picture of it...

Nope, nothing. Here's some I snapped.

Cool, no? 8)

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Jongamer wrote:lol I just is my teeth to strip wires, only bad part is you get a taste a metal in your mouth.
Ya ! Now a guy who knowsw how it works !

Viva el old-skool teeths !!1!!

Seriously, I got like 3 wire stripper, and still always use my teeth even for stripping 3 scsi cables ... both ends ... Hey ! Copper don't got such a bad taste !

-=FamilyGuy=-

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 pm

Electric Rain wrote:After only a few uses, they were both broken. The tip of the soldering iron is made of some type of ceramic and therefore quickly broke in half. Plus it never really worked that well to begin with. It gets WAY too hot for electronics and it only heats when the two ceramic tips are both touching a conductive object... this makes it very unreliable due to microgaps. Oh, and it's too large for electronics, too.
Ugh I know how you feel. Biggest waste of $34.50 (best price (vague Russel Peters reference)), and I've wasted a lot of money on pointless novelty in my day :lol:

I saw these wire strippers on TV once, but it was years ago.