ATARI PORTABLE(now with pictures! And its tiny!)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm

sounds good

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 pm

will it have a cart slot?

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:50 pm

oh definatley, I cant see a normal atari without one! :lol:

I Love this case! Its like a mini craft box, made of the clear plastic stuff. I painted it once, then sanded down all the globs of paint, and I added a new coat for it to dry tonight. Mabye later I can reveal the colors and mabye a picture of it...

Side story (AKA reason I dont have pictures)
I have my brothers camera, he has the flash memory thing for it. So I cant transfer any pictures. :( But he's coming home soon, I can hopefully get pictures then! and I want to get a camera for christmas anyway, that way I can use it whenever I need it.

Ive got the atari Logo ready to go, Mabye I can get that painted on tomorrow If it dosent need one last layer. It looks pretty cool, Heres the stuff:

- Atari board, no Atari clones here!
- Hip gear LCD (or a pocket Tv, whichever I can get my hands on, But hopefully a hip gear cause they're easy for me to work with.)
-an OK case! No Tape on this one! (well mabye on the insides...)
-6 AA batteries. Rechargeables will work too since 1.2X6= 7.2, the needed voltage for the 7805 I'm using For the screen and atari.
- Will probably have a Paddle! I dont really know If I plan to attach one, it would be neat to play warlords though....
- Probably TV out
And that's it, time to sleep
Making XNA Games in C#.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:24 pm

Question:
I have finished painting the atari. It's pretty cool for my first paint that needed to look decent. Anyway...

I was wondering what I could add on top of the paint to make it feel smoother? I mean, try holding something thats all rubbery and such, just dosent fell very comfortable. So what can I add?
Making XNA Games in C#.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Try something like a clearcoat repair, or some of that Krylon clear sealant. Just make sure it's compatible with your paint (make sure it won't melt the color).

Just a question. If it's a clear case, why not take everything out and paint the inside? :?

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Well I like the look, really. Ive got the case already painted, and now I'm adding the logo. I'l be shure to use the Krylon stuff In the future, I would like to get better at the whole casemaking process. Mabye If I could get some chunks of plastic, mabye say from one of my old NES' I could make a little thing there.

Hmm.. I guess that would work. Id just have to cut it off the edge so It could slightly wrap around the back. (You'll see what I mean)

So um yeah, the only thing remaining it the screen and the logo. Well Actually I could just say it is 75% done. Today Ive even solved where to put the batteries!
Screen I need=Hip gear.
Money I have for screen=virtually none, all my income is going to christmas stuff until then, so hopefully santa can bring a hip gear with him. :P
Making XNA Games in C#.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:24 am

Update:

No screen but a new design. The old case can be spared for a future project, but this is a hint:

Its small. Really really small. think vagabond size. Have about 1" of thickness left over for the hip gear (Obviously it isint that thick) before I cut the last few pieces of the case. as soon as I get the screen, the whole process will be nearly complete. (as with my NES, the only reason I havent been done is this screen.)

Features?
Well, It uses 1 9.6V battery, (Im getting a 1600 mAh hopefully today, my 1000 mAh one was for measurements.)

Plays Atari carts (obviously)

Uses a hip gear screen (Hopefully it dosent break by then!)

and thats about it for special features. More on this later (hopefully!)

Oh, and now the house has a digital camera (always stays home) which means pictures are always available!
Making XNA Games in C#.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 pm

Oh man, its so close, i can almost feel it. (well obviously I can hold the thing, but I think yo get the idea)

Pictures (sneek peek!)

Heres what it was:

When I got the little case:

And Now:

Enjoy! If you want to know the size, take a wild guess, Il probably tell you later. :wink:
Making XNA Games in C#.

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:20 pm

looks sweeet :D

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:12 pm

that really does look pretty small

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:24 pm

It's delightful! But it does look pretty small or are my hands really huge?

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Its small, the size is 4" wide, by 4" tall by 2" thick.
A little thick, but Uber small! :D
Making XNA Games in C#.

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:03 pm

:D :D
uber cooooool

BloodNess
Location:in front of my computer...staring zombie...err...ly...into the computer screen...

Post by BloodNess » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 pm

very nice, its small, and doesn't relly look so thick...congrats in advance for when u finish it
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****
finally got motivated again to start a portable, which i have...but with many doubts :S

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:19 pm

thanks.

I dont believe I'l be selling this unit, but I would just love to make more! I enjoy working on the atari, as well as NOACs. I dont think I'd do it upon request, but rather make another unit and sell that for a reasonable price. (see when I say I'm going to make something, I feel more pressure to make shure I dont fry anything. If I just build It and then sell it, that would be easier. then again, no paypal= little to no chance of sending it to somebody. But I will see what I can do.

If you wanted to know:
-1000mAh battery (though a 1600 is available)
-Blue and grey case
-NES buttons (some)
-Hip gear screen (highly likely)
-Case is made of: cut up NES cases. Yeh it took 2-3 but it works. They are hotglued, and they might get sanded and re-painted if I feel it necessiary before I call it "done"
-Also shows No tape! The NES' look wasnt too appealing to me with all the tape on it

and thats about it. I am shooting for the adjustment board in there also, though thats Highly unlikley. I am also going to try to get a ton of clear pictures, and a high detail "how-to" (sorry probably not a story, didnt have a cool one) though I did take a bunch of photos, and summarized the process into simple terms, and also just a brief explination on how the whole thing fits in the case.

Thanks!
Making XNA Games in C#.