Replacing Analog stick with D-pad...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
Replacing Analog stick with D-pad...

Post by G-force » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:06 pm

Really this could possibly, maybe, tiny chance, work! See, I have this unofficial Performance controller N64, and it uses 10k pots for the analog stick.

They way it's setup is the pots are normally in the middle position (5k) and if you move it say, left it will be 10K and if you move it right it goes to 0k.

Code: Select all

10k----5k----0k
It's the same for up and down.

So if I could devise a way to make a d-pad with some 5k and 10k resistors I could actually play Goldeneye with a D-pad! :)

The only problem I see is that I have no way to have the D-pad move from 5k (normal position) to 0k. Ideas?

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 pm

well.. if there's only 1 data line per pot I think this may work.
Crap.. I screwed up the button placement in the pic, you get the idea though...
Just switch S1 and S2 :P
Edit:
Here's a corrected one. Really all I did was switch S1 and S2, just makes it look messier though :(

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm

I know you've already got a perfectly good answer lined up, so I'll bite and ask it:
'Why ever would you want to play goldeneye with a d-pad?'

I seem to recall the analog being at least helpful in aiming more than straight ahead--but maybe I've already forgotten how it was.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:47 pm

Because I would like to try it :P It could possibly be better than an analog stick. I don't really care for A-sticks myself, and would take a D-pad over one any day (Except for the newer systems of course).