Retro NES Gaming PC - Stealth Edition

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

cbutters
Retro NES Gaming PC - Stealth Edition

Post by cbutters » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:23 am

Hi everyone, I am new here, but am a big fan of Ben Heckendorn.
I figure this is the best place to post this, but
I have made a Retro Gaming PC - Stealth Edition, a NES Console modded with a computer inside to play old school nes, snes, and n64 games. The project is 'stealth' because all the connections are the original NES connectors and there is no way to tell that this isn't a normal NES until you turn it on.

The link below has a video showing it off and other info.
Enjoy!

http://www.exoid.com/?p=221

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:40 am

looks good, but I think it could use some real SNES and N64 controllers to go along with it.

I'm guessing you did a USB mod for the NES controllers that would be incompatible with N64 controllers, but I can't remember if SNES controllers could interface to it.

I've considered doing something of the sort, but it'll be a while until I tackle a project like this.

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:40 am

Great job! I've seen things like this but modifying the original case. I'm glad you chose to keep the pure, old-skool look. I'm surprised you only used a 160GB HDD. If it's strictly for emulation, I'd figure you'd want a bigger hard drive for more games! And if you tweaked it enough, and Game-ex works with Vista, you could make it a cool media center PC (although I am no fan of Vista, whatsoever)! But great job!
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 am

grossaffe wrote:...but I can't remember if SNES controllers could interface to it.
They don't SNES controllers are wider. He used the original NES controller ports.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 am

He can use SNES controllers, he just has to cut off the plug and use an NES plug.

cbutters

Post by cbutters » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am

ian2120 wrote:Great job! I've seen things like this but modifying the original case. I'm glad you chose to keep the pure, old-skool look.
Yeah, I had seen lots but they always looked like hack jobs in the back, not nearly as cool as the "sleeper" look ;D
Dark-Aries wrote:He can use SNES controllers, he just has to cut off the plug and use an NES plug.
Thats interesting, I never realized that snes and nes used the same number of pinouts. Interesting.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:53 am

here's more proof for non believers

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/nessnes.htm

look at the left hand side for the little comments..the snes controller only has an extra IC for the extra buttons.

m_lovitt

Post by m_lovitt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:02 pm

NICE I may not be able to build a portable (at leats not yet any way) but I know I can build one of thies... I've been building computers for years..wonder why the Idea hadnt came to me befor?? I have emulatores and Roms on my PC have for years LOL DAMN I wish I thought of this yrs ago
~M.L.
Tattoos, the only thing I collect that I dont have to pack up when I move.

Bay_Wolf

Post by Bay_Wolf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:50 pm

That's a really nice NES PC. The Unofficial home of all things NES PC went under about a year ago but you can go to the facebook group or the makeshift forum.

Regards,
Bay_wolf.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:14 am

ian2120 wrote:
grossaffe wrote:...but I can't remember if SNES controllers could interface to it.
They don't SNES controllers are wider. He used the original NES controller ports.
well I know it doesn't physically fit, but they have the same number of pins. A simple SNES -> NES pin converter would allow you to plug an SNES controller into a NES slot, but the question remains as to whether or not it would actually work.

For example, I built an SNES -> PC converter that hooks up via the Parallel Port, and from what I understand, an SNES controller can easily be replaced by a NES controller by connecting the correct pins to the correct positions (power, ground, clock, latch, data) and using a different driver. As a matter of fact, the driver used in Linux for the converter is called from the command line with numbering options telling it what kind of controllers are plugged in (so it would be like 1 1 1 1 1 for 5 SNES controllers or something like that where as a different number would correspond to a different type of controller). I also think I remember seeing a USB SNES -> PC converter that would allow you to hook up a NES controller instead if you so pleased, but I can't remember for sure.

cbutters

Post by cbutters » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 am

The Cost was as follows:

D201GLY2T (video out version) $75
NES (EBAY) $30
1GB DDR2 Memory $15
160GB HDD SAMSUNG $65
PICOPSU 90 KIT $50
USB HUB (FREE) $0
RetroUSB adapters (2) $40

TOTAL $275

LABOR(Research, planning, cutting, soldering, etc ~28 HRS

Not too bad cause the D201GLY2 has everything you need already. :D

m_lovitt

Post by m_lovitt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 pm

any one know how to proprtly configure game ex?? I've had tons of trouble with it befor. IDK If Im willing to screw with it again *boo* or are there any other good front ends?
Tattoos, the only thing I collect that I dont have to pack up when I move.

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Ah! Didn't know you could do that! But then again, I didn't really look into it. Sorry! :wink:

cbutters

Post by cbutters » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:03 am

I had a lot of people wanting to buy this so i put it up on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0280144905