Bacteria's project - Modding a GP2x....FINISHED

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Bacteria's project - Modding a GP2x....FINISHED

Post by bacteria » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 am

Aha, you shout, another Bacteria project!!

Basically until I know if I can get the add-ons for my Ipaq project I can't do more on it (just a few days, now long). I could finish the briefcase on my Nintendo 64 Advance, (will do soon), but thought I would start a new project in the interim - modding a GP2x.

Objectives:

* Better battery life (poor on the GP2x with only 2 x AA's). Maybe dual power (not decided yet).
* Use a PSone screen to give about 50% more screen area.
* Better buttons for control and laid out better.
* Interchangeable joystick and D-pad (inspired by Ben's Xbox contoller) - best of both worlds then.
* Rotateable screen (to play some MAME games properly).
* Easier to hold and use (adult hands again!!).

The GP2x does not have (perfect) tv-out, a chap on the GP2x forum is trying to improve it. Output from the GP2x is only s-video; you can of course combine the signals yourself or use an adapter to make it composite, but let's face it, composite is not good in most cases.

Using the instructions from sam_thornley's post, http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=20158 I did his mod to make the PSone screen (PAL) take s-video directly.

The below two pics are sam_thornley's from his posting, all credit to him for these:

I had to use my dremel to make the ends of my slim pliers thinner, so they could grip the component so I could remove it after using a hot soldering iron. (in pic is the part removed - tiny!).

Removed, came from here:

Wired up the capacitor, put a piece of electrical tape under where the capacitor was going to sit and put a blob of hot glue under capacitor to secure it in place.

I am using the PSone screen from my old BigBoy Advance project, once I a ready I will remove it from the casing (and bin the old case). Rather than destroy the GP2x tv-out cable, I cut an old s-video cable and used its cabling.

I hooked up the PSone screen to the PSone mains power; connected both the (Y) Luminance ground (red wire) and the (C) Chroma ground (blue wire) to the ground on the PSone screen and the Luminance wire to the Composite in on the PSone screen.

Test rig: GP2x, PSone screen

Screen samples below - a bit better than composite, a definite improvement (eg lettering is better, colours a bit better); however there is a slight flicker, just slight - can this be resolved with a higher capacitor rating than 220uf?? Any ideas? It isn't a problem, it would be nice to have a nice 100% static screen.

(Psycho Pinball, via MegaDrive emulator):

Test screens:

I will pause this project to complete my Ipaq, then back to it (or maybe both at the same time?).

More updates will follow in next days....
Last edited by bacteria on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:19 pm

GBA Big Boy asplode? D:

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Skyone wrote:GBA Big Boy asplode? D:
He used the GBA mobo and transverter in his N64 Advance, remember?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Valium wrote:
Skyone wrote:GBA Big Boy asplode? D:
He used the GBA mobo and transverter in his N64 Advance, remember?
Oh right, right. :P

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:12 am

With bacteria on the scene the Handheld Hacking section of the forums will be up and running in no time! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with your GP2x :D For batteries, might I suggest the Sony InfoLithium L batteries? What I used for my SNESp were actually cheap knockoffs, but they work great!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:26 am

Skyone - Yes, I just kept the PSone screen and mobo in the old case to protect it. It then seemed logical to keep it in the case whilst I did this tiny soldering; it is only a few screws and a couple of minutes from easy removal!

Life of Brian - Thanks! When I was doing the Nintendo 64 Advance project I was "advertising" the fact on the GP2x forum, and quite a lot of people visited BenHeck as a result. With this GP2x project, I am encouraging them to visit BenHeck. This is my way to increase interest in the BenHeck forum as while they are visiting I am sure they will browse other threads, and some will get hooked (as I was). I Googled the Sony InfoLithium L batteries you referred to, looked rather thick, expensive and need a charger (I don't have). I intend to have my case 29mm thick, which means 25mm clearance inside (4mm is the thickness of the case plastic, 2x2mm).

On the subject of batteries, I have the following issues and considerations:

(1) I don't want to mod the PSone screen as I am not too keen on the light/darker spots you get with LED modding (especially on this size of screen). This I know doesn't help battery life I know.

(2) The GP2x demands heavy duty AA's normally, photo grade, at least 2500NiMH to get something like 1.5 - 2 hours or so.

Considering the battery options:

D cells - far too large and very heavy - no use.

C cells - a good option, a pack of 6 cells is 480g, quite heavy, but 4500NiMH. 26mm high, just ok.

Sub-C cells - better size but amazingly are heavier - a pack of 6 would be 792g - quite a bit heavier, but smaller than C cells (43x22mm against 50x26mm). 3300NiMH

AA's - need two packs of six (7.2v) to make it worthwhile for the PSone screen and two packs of two cells for the GP2x (total of 16 cells, total weight about 450g. That is fine, would work fine, but lots of cells to recharge, however I would get 5400NiMH; I could get a cheap(ish) bulk AA recharger and do more cells at a time.

RC battery packs - 4300NiMH are expensive, 3300NiMH cell 6 pack (7.2v) would cost about £18 and I need a recharger at about £6. Downside is 3300NiMH (a bit borderline) and all the weight of the cells would be on one side of my case; it is far better to have cells distributed over case to make it evenly weighted. Not ideal therefore.

Li-ion or alternative - expensive and you need a suitable charger or you have a granade. Ideally I need either one thin 7.2v flat cell with over 4000mAh and capable of high drain requirements, or two 7.2v packs up to about 22m thick, at least 2000mAh each, high drain requirements (to set in parallel). I also need a suitable charger; oh yes, not too expensive in total! Any ideas?

Unless anyone comes up with a great alternative, I will probably go for 6 x C cells, similar to http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/21588/ ... e-battery/ although I need to shop around. I will also use a TI card to convert voltage to about 3v for the GP2x. Six of these cells look like they will cost about £42, I am sure I can get cheaper ones in the UK or e-bay.

I intend to make the system dual power, so it can run via batteries or mains.

Question: If I use a PSone mains plug, 7.5v, 3amp; would I be ok to charge all six C cells together (v. 7.2v) without overloading the batteries, if this is ok, how long would it take to fully charge them, and would this have any detriment after a while to their life??

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 am

I know that some of the higher capacity InfoLithium L batteries are really thick, but why not go with two that are in the 1800 - 2500 mAh range and wire them parallel like I did?

See? Not very thick at all.

I think each battery was $15 to $20 each and a charger was another $14. My total setup was under $50. It's a bit pricey, but there's no need to go with the Sony name-brand ones. Look for the "replacement" batteries on eBay. Anyway, that's my suggestion.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 pm

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:36 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Image
Is that a controler port on the bottom of that GPX2?

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

Honestly I don't understand your complaints about AA cells. They are by far my preference to battery. Just get some 2700mAh as you described and a few battery holders off of Digikey. Optimal storage for an optimal price! Also, they aren't very heavy at all in my opinion.

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

nightwheel wrote:
Thats his portable Snes.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Valium wrote:
nightwheel wrote:
Thats his portable Snes.
Opps honest mistake.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I like getting responses and hearing the wisdom of others.

Life of Brian - Thanks for the suggestion, I did an e-bay search (UK) and only saw the thick ones, which are too thick (similar to the Sony NPF950 battery I have, but no charger yet!). I prefer to use NiMH if I can as they are safer.

ATOMICMAN - Excellent, many thanks - I wasn't aware of this size! you might also be interested in http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?Pa ... EAodIWi6FA

Those cells looked very interesting, however I decided to go for C cells. I had to complete a form (on the site you recommended) to get to the final price - ouch! $54.12 for 12 cells (good price), shipping to UK $88.60 - total $136.49 (about £62, plus UK Customs of about £12 = £74 plus "bringing item into European Community tax" £8 = £82). No! Plus they take no responsibility for lost items in post. Only plus is they take PayPal.

Uk web site inc. delivery for 12 cells is £72.15 (inclusive). Expensive.

Good old e-bay - UK item, "PROFiTEXX 5500mah C Cell Rechargeable Batteries", 6 cells for £32.94 (at rate of £65.88 for 12). Cheapest price and 5500NiMH instead of 5000NiMH. I have used this brand of cells (AAA) for my other digital camera, seem fine.

Had I been able to get 3/4AF cells cheaply in the UK (the UK web site does, them, similar price to the C cells though) via e-bay I would have been tempted as the cells are a better size; however the C cells will last longer so I am probably better with them.

6 x C cells weigh 510g; by the time I have the PSone screen, case, GP2x mobo, etc I should be under 1kg, which is fine. The C cells are 25.3mm high, I intend to make my case 29-31mm high (ideal height to hold system fine) so I have enough clearance, although I will need to give good thought into case layout. This means, with the space, I will be able to have my nice 50mm cone speakers in the case again!! :wink:

I have just bought 6 of these cells (7.2v total, as per requirement of PSone screen). (My screen name on e-bay BTW is "Peagloss"). These are high power drain photo type ones, ideal. I intend to use a TI card to give 3v; I could have used 8 C cells (6 for screen, 2 for GP2x) but then one system will power off before the other, makes sense to have both power off at the same time.

nightwheel - The GP2x is pictured on my first post in this thread (and will be shown again as project develops).

Skyone - Personally I like AA's because they are easy to get hold of and light; however 6 cells only seem to power the PSone screen for about 1.5 hours (unmodded PSone screen) and 2 cells (as powerful as you can get) only power the GP2x for about this; sometimes more, sometimes less. That is 8 cells; realistically, to get good life from both systems I would need 16 AA cells, 6 x 2 sets in parallel and 2 x 2 sets in parallel - the GP2x is such high drain that having 6 x 2 sets in parallel would give warm batteries and be pushing the AA's. You won't be able to run both devices from one set of 6 AA cells, I doubt the system would even work for a few minutes. The C cells I have now bought are high drain quality. Incidentally, 12 x AA cells weigh about 380g, so the 6 x C cells are only about 120g more - about the same weight as 16 AA's!

QUESTION - (I didn't get a reply to this similar question before) - If I rig up these 6 cells together in series (7.2v), with the system off, plug in external power (7.5v, 3 amp), how long will it take to recharge the batteries (6 x 5500NiMH C cells)? Please advise, and confirm this is ok and safe to do so? Any other comments?

I am back to my PDA Ipaq project for the moment, I want to finish this and then back to the GP2x mod; anyway, it gives time for the batteries to arrive!
Last edited by bacteria on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:30 am

nightwheel wrote:Is that a controler port on the bottom of that GPX2?
Woohoo! I'm going to take that as a compliment!

As for your question, bacteria, I'm afraid I don't know. Sounds like you had to go through far too much effort to find some decent batteries! It pays to be thrifty whenever possible, though.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:51 am

Life of Brian - Yup, pays to be thrifty! I spent about 2.5 hours this morning looking on various sites about batteries, and updating this blog. £32.94 is not cheap (about $71.30), but at least it isn't silly money!

I am hoping I can recharge all together like this as it means I can seal them into the case in a more permanent manner. I imagine it should be ok, a while back I put a pack of 6 x AA cells in a pack and recharged them in a 9v recharger unit (same connectors) for 48 hours and they were ok; but I don't know if this is good longterm or can damage cells.

What I don't know (and hoping for answers please) is if you have 6 x 5500NiMH cells together in series, making 7.2v, that a 7.5v mains is fine, and in effect 3amps divided by 6 cells = 500mAh per cell, so to recharge 5500NiMH cells would take 11 hours from 7.5v 3amp mains power inlet (ie PSone power cable). Someone must know!!! (and if there are any longterm downsides).