Cart slot Relocation

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Fanboy
Cart slot Relocation

Post by Fanboy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Okay, cartslot relocation is probably the most tedious and boring chore when portablizing the n64, but it is arguably one of the most important parts of the proccess. I will explain it as simply as possible in a few easy steps.

1. Grip cartslot between index finger and thumb. Pull straight up. This should dislodge the cartslot.

2. Underneath the cartslot, you will find many leads (along with holes from the cartslot). Desolder these and remove the expansion port. This may require force.

3. Solder ribbon cable to the cartslot leads (the ones on the motherboard, not on the slot it self).

4. Solder the oppostite end of the ribbon cable to the cartslot. WARNING!: You may find it easier to match up the leads to the ribbon cable before soldering. This will decrease the possibilty for mistakes. There should be a clear deffinition between both sides, as one has less leads than the other.

This is Moose Jr's solderless cartslot relocation method, scroll down to bottom
Last edited by Fanboy on Sun May 14, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless Hot Glue

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 pm

want me to sticky this?

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Yeah, it would help :lol: ...
God Bless Hot Glue

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun May 14, 2006 2:33 pm

Done!

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Yay! I got a thread stickified! That's a first... And I'll bet you thought I couldn't do anything useful :roll: ... Well I'll have you know that I can be used as the best damn shark bai :x - Oh wait, nevermind :lol: ...
God Bless Hot Glue

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun May 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I dunno about yall, but I hate relocation of cartridge slot and Moose Jr just saved the day for me. >_>
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Xiro

Post by Xiro » Mon May 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Klefmung wrote:I dunno about yall, but I hate relocation of cartridge slot and Moose Jr just saved the day for me. >_>
it still takes a bit of time to get it to fit correctly, but it requires much less patience and doesnt require a steady hand.

i completed my relocation in about 40 minutes

Gamerdude

Post by Gamerdude » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:33 pm

I would rather use solder than go through all the trouble of those little pin things. If you do usde this idea, I reccomend using hotglue to make a solid base so they can't slip and short out your cart slot. this is just my opinion aned I have never used the pin idea or even relocated a slot (I am working on my portable now so I know the contact size and I have soldered more contacts than that and they were smaller and closer together, actually it was 89 of them little bugers, they weren't all in a row though, one reason to not use a modchip). I am going to do old fashioned soldering when I relocate my cart slot. You do what works best for you, I am just leaving a comment/suggestion :o .