Samsung Blackjack in a Game Boy Case -Build Log-

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

electromaster64
Samsung Blackjack in a Game Boy Case -Build Log-

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I am planning to put my old Samsung Blackjack into an original Game Boy case. The QWERTY keyboard gives me plenty of connection points to wire buttons for various emulators. Below is a concept image. The only issue is that the Blackjack screen is slightly smaller than the Game Boy and I need to make a new bezel. How should I make a bezel that looks original but is fit to the new screen?

ImageImage

electromaster64

Re: Samsung Blackjack in a Game Boy Case -Build Log-

Post by electromaster64 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Holes drilled for the buttons. I still need help on that bezel. I am researching the pinout for Samsung's proprietary connector so I can rewire it to use regular USB and a 3.5mm stereo jack. I am also trying to see if it would be possible wire the Micro SD slot to fit regular SD cards.

ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:37 am

Update:

Blackjack screen mounted inside of Game Boy LCD holder.

Screen mounted inside of Game Boy

Tracing holes from Game Boy board onto new controller prior to modification so it will screw directly into Game Boy case using existing screw posts.

Samsung main board and modified 20-pin connector ready to be affixed to rear of screen.

More to come soon.
ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 am

The only question I currently have is how to replace the power button. The Samsung Blackjack power button has three leads rather than two so I was unsure if a standard tact switch would work and if not what should I use to make a new power button?
ImageImage

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Nice job so far. I'm not sure about your question but I wanted to drop in and say good work.

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Here is a picture and a diagram of the buttons that are confusing me.

When pressing the power button a circuit is completed between points 1 and 2. When pressing the volume rocker up a circuit is completed between 1 and 3 when pressing it down a circuit is completed between 2 and 3. I am not sure what #3 on the power button and #4 on the volume rocker is for. I would like to replace these buttons with tact switches or something but not sure what I should use as I cannot figure out these extra connections.
ImageImage

ETruj

Post by ETruj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

the gameboy lcd holder came from this gameboy or one of the newer models? your build looks fantastic! i've seen one build where a guy used an ipod nano and he used a plug in controller to make soldering the buttons and the layout easier. you can fill in the gaps left by the smaller lcd screen by ordering a replacement screen for the gameboy and painting it. they're super cheap on ebay.