So a few months back I wanted to an XBox 360 laptop, being jelous of all of the other ones I've seen. So the idea came to stuff it into a case that looks like the suitcase in Iron Man 2 (the one that turns into his armor). So far what I have done is started making a buck for vacuforming the the top and bottom of the external housing, started work on a custom DVD tray cover which should blend seamlessly with the rest of the case due to the lines and divots that will go around the outside edge.
I've also cut a vent for the top of the metal casing that sits inside the unit, cut away the side next to the DVD drive and added an extra SPST switch to the board to controll DVD Drive ejection. The new fan I've put in is an 80mm fan hardwired to the underside of the board to the fan connectors. I wanted to tap a 12v rail but I was afraid of shorting the fan out or worse. I've also had to replace the XClamps and reflow the board to remove an RROD (bought this 360 Console off of ebay for $25.00 because of that issue). I'd love to have it watercooled like some of the other systems I've seen but its not a financial possibility right now. I'll be posting updates as I get time to work on this.
When finished this 360 will:
* Be 18" wide x 3 - 5" high x 9" deep.
* Include LG Laptop display driven by this LVDS board => http://www.ebay.com/itm/5251-Audio-LCD- ... 574wt_1140
* Include a Handle for that extra suitcase/brief case feel.
What I'm planning to do still yet is:
* Move the Connector for the Hard Drive next to or behind the DVD Drive
* Move the Power Switch/ROL over to the center of the casing, using the origial switch cover
Now seeing as I've ranted long enough my only question is: The LVDS controller I have coming in runs on a 12v 4amp power supply. Can I tap a 12v rail without blowing it out?