Kindle Backlight

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

electromaster64
Kindle Backlight

Post by electromaster64 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Anyone tried to LED backlight a Kindle? I have a Kindle 2 and would rather mod it than buy a silly clip on light.
ImageImage

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Re: Kindle Backlight

Post by Kumimono » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 am

I don't believe e-ink tech is suitable for backlighting.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:12 am

Ha we got my Mom a Kindle for Christmas and I was wondering the same thing. I personally think it would take too much away from the "looks & reads like paper" aspect, but it is too bad it doesn't have "day-glo" backlighting like those old digital watches :lol:

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 am

wallydawg wrote:I personally think it would take too much away from the "looks & reads like paper" aspect, but it is too bad it doesn't have "day-glo" backlighting like those old digital watches :lol:
That is what I was going for actually, only not green :D . Rather than backlight I should have said frontlight.
ImageImage

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Frontlighting would simply be lining the edges with lights, probably LED's. Would probably be possible and easy to an experienced modder, but I don't know if there's the documentation required for the thing.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:Frontlighting would simply be lining the edges with lights, probably LED's. Would probably be possible and easy to an experienced modder, but I don't know if there's the documentation required for the thing.
Frontlighting and lcd actually uses a plastic light guide. The plastic light guide directs the led light on the edges of the plastic onto the screen by means of grooves cut into the plastic. Very difficult to do. Just lighting the side with led's won't do it.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance