I don't really know what I am doing... (Gamecube)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

morganwk
I don't really know what I am doing... (Gamecube)

Post by morganwk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 pm

I am trying to make a portable gamecube. :P
But, alas, I have no idea how to do that. :facepalm:

NOTE: Before you tell me to try an NES or an N64 first, let me tell you that I can't because I only have enough money to buy the stuff for one portable (If not less) and I don't want to waste it on something that isn't fun (like my old, dusty, broken N64). I understand that this is the default response for a noob who wants to tackle a big project, and that you are only trying to help, but I just can't.
Thank you! :D

Anyways, I probably could figure out how to do it with the "FAQ and How To" topic, but following such an exact and detailed guide whilst having no experience leaves no room for creativity or design.
Simply put, I don't care if my gamecube is chunky or ugly (though a pretty one would be nice) and all I care is that the battery lasts and is rechargable without removing it, it has the wiikey or qoob hack, and I don't break it, or myself, making it.

So I want to learn how to:
* Safely remove all of the useless circuitry (expansion ports, video ports the screen doesn't use, player 3 & 4 ports, etc.)
* Put a qoob or wiikey in in a way that I can access the files on it easily and be able to transfer backups onto it without dismantling the system
* Connect the components: circuits, screen, controller, memory ports, etc. in a way that they work without the things I removed, and so that they are rigidly connected (because they will probably be stacked)
* Choose the right battery, shooting for longest play time for lowest price
* Hook up the battery, without killing myself, so it can be charged without removal
* How to find how much space the guts will take up and design an appropriate case

If you can direct me to some help it would be greatly appriciated.
I apologize if this is a hefty request or one often made, but I had no luck searching the forums.
Thanks!

Electro Modder

Re: I don't really know what I am doing... (Gamecube)

Post by Electro Modder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Sorry, but the chances are you WILL break at least something whilst making it since it is your first one... pretty much everybody does and it is very annoying having to pay more money to buy a replacement when that could very easily break too! However, everybody has to start somewhere and if you that passionately want a GameCube Portable then go for it! All I would say is don't be disheartened if or when things go wrong, because it happens all the time. I killed 6 screens, 2 NESs, 2 Super Joys, 1 N64 and 1 SNES before I successfully made a Portable! :) (maybe I was a bit OTT...) ...But it is DEFINITELY worth it at the end! I know you said you only have enough money for one, but you really should have a bit for spares too.
I am afraid I am pretty new to these forums and don't know where anything is yet... however you can find ANYTHING you need to know here: http://made-by-bacteria.com/viewforum.php?f=38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps... and good luck!!! :D

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Here's another site, with nice organization. There's a thread dedicated to linking to important guides. This is the one for the Gamecube. While the community is glad to help newbies, they don't take to kindly to stupid questions. Don't tell them I sent you.

Edit: Fixed Link
Last edited by ProgMetalMan on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

Electro Modder

Post by Electro Modder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Basically, there is lots of information on all 3 modding forums (benheck, madebybacteria and modretro), but the best organised ones seem to be madebybacteria and modretro. When I joined madebybacteria they were extremely helpful and very friendly and everybody was willing to help every step of the way! I'm not a member of the modretro forums but they seem very helpful too, so I would suggest checking both to find information, since one could contain information that the other doesn't. :) You don't even have to join to get the information, so you could keep the worklog to these forums and use the others to get information, diagrams etc. Also, I forgot to say... even though you are new to modding, making a beautiful portable isn't too difficult. All it requires is for the case to have had a lot of time and effort put into making it, sanding it smooth, etc, and you will end up with a great looking portable! :D Remember that what's on the inside only has to work, it's what's on the outside that people will see! Again, good luck!