PS3 Heatsink- Slim it down?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
PS3 Heatsink- Slim it down?

Post by griehm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:30 pm

OK- So I'm doing last minute adjustments to the components for my PS3 laptop- but dam the heatsink is ruining the overall "slim" waistline. I even went as far as to use a PS3 slim mobo instead of a fat. So my question is- is there a good replacement heatsink for the PS3 Slim, or a way to trim down the overall size? I'd be afraid to trim it down too far and risk it over heating, and same deal with grabbing any old heatsink from a laptop. :?

A slim waistline would be nice so that I can fit it inside a case from an old laptop (P4 3.4 Beast- full desktop processor=5 heat pipes!). While the laptop case itself might not be so "slim", when compared to other PS3 Laptops it is.

I'll also have a build thread complete with 2D and 3D photos and long descriptions for everyone soon. I'll post it once everything is well under way, so as to avoid 2 week gaps I get due to school.

Thanks!
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

ptrakk
PSN Username:ptrakk
360 GamerTag:ptrakk
Steam ID:ptrakk

Re: PS3 Heatsink- Slim it down?

Post by ptrakk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:12 am

water cool.
We're the 99%!
#OccupyWallStreet

griehm

Post by griehm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Any real ideas?
Spoiler:
Seriously? Advertising and "occupy" here?
Water cooled- Not really "slimming" it down now are we? Yes, the heatsink itself is smaller, but the water reservoir, the radiator and tubes are quite a lot bigger that the stock fan+cooling unit.

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Although I havent started my PS3 laptop yet, I have built an xbox 360 one. I used the stock heatinks and trimmed them down and the cpu got wayy to hot and I had to put 3 extra fans on it to keep it cool which also increased the sound. If I were you I would spen a little time researching some laptop heatsinks. The get a nice big one (from a laptop that has a powerful gpu and cpu) and make a custom mounting holes and brackets. It may seem a lot of work, but it will be worth it when you have a silent and cool PS3. You could also try experimenting with negative air pressure instead. You could have a large passive heatisink with a large surface area, and have fans blowing air out. The have a vent onto of the heatink so air will be sucked through it. You will need to seal up all the other gaps and holes in the console though. The more surface are of the heatsinks, the more effective they will be. Also try and use stock heatpipes and heatinks, as I found after you modify them, they dissipate the heat not as well as before. A quick ebay search and I found this heatsink. It has the two contacts close to each other similar to the PS3 gpu and cpu. With a little modification to the way it is mounted onto the board, I reckon this one would do the job. It is a simple design, slim, and has a large fan and 2 hatsinks. Just make sure the distance between the two parts that join to the cpu and gpu match up with the PS3's dimensions. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAPTOP-HP-DV5 ... 500wt_1413

Hope this helps :D :D

God luck with the build, would love to see some pictures!

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

griehm

Post by griehm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:53 pm

thanks for the tip but turns out I'm actually going to use a larger case. I managed to get my hands on a SONY BRANDED (for authenticity :lol: ) professional video camera. Old super 8 cam so I tossed it (didn't work anyway) and pulled out the foam inserts. Absolutely beautiful size, perfect for something like this.