HandyNES - lovablechevy's nes2 portable

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:45 pm

ok, so, back around the christmas time of 2008, rekarp and i decided to make some nes2 portables. the week of that christmas, i managed to get the case ~95% done. then, i happened to set it aside to finish up the HandyDuo, Handy Gear, and Nintenduo. at long last, i felt it was time to bring this project back to life and to fruition. fast forward to now, and i present to you:

this is one of the smallest fully original hardware nes portables, which was accomplished by using the nes top loader board. it’s aka code name: red mushroom. the code name is due to it being an nes portable and due to the shape and coloring. anyway, i’ll let the videos and pics speak for themselves:

youtube videos:
HandyNES in detail
a/v out & player 2/zapper usb port in use
playing past where battletoads freezes on clones

Imagered mushroom! :D

i had a catastrophe when finishing it up. i was needing to trim a bit of plastic on the inside, the razor blade slipped, went through the front of the case, and into my finger. so, that is what is wrong with the front right portion of the plastic around the screen. considering it would take a few weeks to fix back to perfect, i decided to not bother... *sighs* so yes, i’m aware the front isn’t perfect. :P

specs:
system – nes version 2
power – 2 3.7v li-ion 1500 mAh batteries (3 hours with full volume and screen brightness 50%)
case – frankencased sl-64p (polycase.com), nes2 casing, fc twin controller casing, 3.5” screen casing
controllers – fc twin buttons painted white for portable, super joy iii controller cut up, nes dog bone controller painted (white top, red bottom) and made into usb for 2nd player, zapper painted and made into usb
random tidbits – uses the longhorn engineer’s (rekarp) nes2 composite mod (seeing as it’s the best and the simplest); power led added in (white); Mario’s low battery indicator (red); case has custom made decal and sticker; has a/v out, headphone jack, and usb port for player 2/zapper (with hidden switch to swap between)

if you are interested, here is the link to all the pics i took.

a few measurements of the system:
weight of portable – 1 lb
weight of portable with game – 1 lb 4 oz
thickness – 2"
height – 4”
height with nes game – 6 1/4"
length – 6”

this project took me ~1.25 months time. 1 dedicated week back the christmas of 2008, then from october 27, 2011 through november 24, 2011. it would have been done sooner, but i did run into issues involving the length of my cart slot relocation wires. heh. and then, of course, regarding the thickness of it all. i was hoping to use larger mAh batteries; i even have 3200 mAh that i purchased for this project. but they just were too darn thick.

oh! and for those wondering, yes, i do have my signature hot pink in the portable. the inside of the back half was painted pink. ;)
Last edited by lovablechevy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Looks great! I love the case.

Metallica Man X

Re: HandyNES - lovablechevy's nes2 portable

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Aaaah...I knew this was coming someday....and dang does it look good! 8)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:01 pm

thanks, guys. :)

first post edited to put battery life.

3 hours with full volume and screen brightness 50%
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

projectarcturus

Post by projectarcturus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 am

how did you solve the issue of light guns only working on CRTs and not with LCDs?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 pm

projectarcturus wrote:how did you solve the issue of light guns only working on CRTs and not with LCDs?
I didn't... it has a/v out so I can plug it into my tube tv. The 2ns video in the first post covers that.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I've wanted to do an NES2 portable for a while now.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"