ZCP case construction question help??? Cardboard???

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Gamerlolwind51649
ZCP case construction question help??? Cardboard???

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Hay everybody,
Gamerlolwind here and my zip is almost done. just need to construct a case for it.
i have a friend of mine helping me on it, he was ring to use wood for it.
he posted some pics yesterday saying that the type of wood he used to drill ou the parts was bad quality and made from PVC which breaks very easily and could/can damage the gc and parts.

i had an idea to use cardboard as a medium for the case since I'm good at cutting/making the pieces fit with it.
i was thinking of using for the whole case three cardboard layers on each side glued together with UHU glue.

my friend told me that that wouldn't be a very good idea, but didn't give me reasons why not to use cardboard.

i have looked up the pros of using it, what are the cons to this?
and am i at any possible risk of anything bad?
i read about it catching fire at a certain temp, is it true and what temp does the gc go up to with the stock fan?

ofcousre my case will have many air vents to keep it cool,
um should i use uhu glue for gluing the cardboard pieces together and epoxy for gluing the screen, gc etc on the inside of the case?

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wallydawg

Re: ZCP case construction question help??? Cardboard???

Post by wallydawg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

No the cardboard won't catch fire or anything. The only problem I forsee is the high probability of it looking like ass. Nothing against your possible cardboard skills but it's still not really that sturdy of a building material no matter what you do to it.

Tapatalk Mobile Post Woooooooo

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm

wallydawg wrote:No the cardboard won't catch fire or anything. The only problem I forsee is the high probability of it looking like ass. Nothing against your possible cardboard skills but it's still not really that sturdy of a building material no matter what you do to it.

Tapatalk Mobile Post Woooooooo
lol, Looking like ass understatement of the week. maybe who knows.
i have my design plain for it, i'll work on it and make sure it won't end up looking like ass. i'll spray the case before i add the screen/gc/battery/controller in.
I'm thinking gold spray color.

umm, three layers of cardboard glued together that is of good quality? maybe.

oh and my gc's disk señor black thing one of the small black sensors broke, and my gc with one of them bent down couldn't read the gc disk, but now it works fine, and it's only on one black sensor.

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 pm

If possible grab that really thick cardboard that they use for temporary road signs, and the like. I can see that stuff, when layered, holding up nicely.
Traditional layered cardboard is going to be vulnerable to press marks and getting wet and soggy (even if you are careful). Also it will just look terrible (restating the obvious)

Stick with wood if you need an easy medium. Wood can hold up well to damage and when treated properly, as in c_mon's designs, it can come out looking fabulous.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.