New project, Gamecube Portable....Station

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

artthrash
New project, Gamecube Portable....Station

Post by artthrash » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 am

Hi guys, (sorry for my poor english) i'm new on the forum and, for my first post and i would like to show my new project and its progress, the Gamecube Portable station (gcps)- the name was thought like that because the GCPs will be built under the ps one case (suggestions of other names are accepted).

this is a little draw of the project (i now, i'm not an artist)

Well, the victims to be modded:

Gamecube
Psone lcd
Psone case
Stereo headphones

for now thats all, i will updating the progress of the project, see you soon

Zeflis

Re: New project, Gamecube Portable....Station

Post by Zeflis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

Very cool! Can't wait to see more.
One thought though... the screen mother board is almost the same size as the casing and its circular as well. Have you taken this into consideratipn when you positioned your controller? It looks like the joysticks may be too close in.

Are you planning on using the GC disc drive? Because I highly recomend using the Wii disc drive as it is far FAR thinner. And I assume the disc drive would go on the back of the system?

artthrash

Post by artthrash » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 am

Yes man, i'll use the Gc disc drive, it will be located under de screen. later i'll put more pics to explain this better

Zeflis

Post by Zeflis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Sounds cool. I really want to see these pictures because I know it'll be pretty difficult to fit the GC in that case anyway so it'll be interesting to see hiw you do it.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Unless you plan on extending the sidewalls of the PSOne case to be about 1" thicker you will never fit a GC+Original DD in there, unless of course it sticks out the back. But you've already told us that's not your plan.

The GC DD is already thicker than the PSOne case alone. Let alone getting the motherboard, daughterboard and the rest of the components in there.

Make life easy on yourself and get a Wiikey Fusion. The mod is easy and cheap and its really the only way the case you want to use is useable without making it ungody thick.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 pm

sweet gcube :)
good luck with it, hope it goes well/
looks interesting your design,
and the prone screen is awesome, I'm using it for my gcp too :)as of now, i've done the 5v turn on switch mod and will connect my gamecube's av pcb black/yellow wires that i extend on plus the red/white.

but yeah, this is interesting, slots of people doing cubes mostly go for wiikry fustian stuff easier, but i went for DD because i have slots of cube games on disks and i'd like to play them like normal, but i also have SDML disk with an sd card for backups via swiss.

this is sweet. the more people willing to try building the gcubep the more new secrets and new tricks we get.
plus it's very encouraging for others who aren't into modding or building to get inspired by others and go challenge themselves to build their own portable console no matter how hard or time i will/might/may take.

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:12 am

Ashen wrote:Make life easy on yourself and get a Wiikey Fusion. The mod is easy and cheap and its really the only way the case you want to use is useable without making it ungody thick.
Meh, it's a nice mod, and it makes it smaller for sure, but I wouldn't want to see every single portable gamecube in the future have one. Let's just see where this one goes, it looks pretty cool.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

Yes, I agree. An all wiikey world of GCp's would be extremely dull. I wasn't trying to be a killjoy, but I'm not sure the OP realizes just how large the GC's original DD is.

The stock PSOne case is just to small to house a orignial GC DD plus everything else needed. You may be able to pull it off with a Wii DD however as they are about 1/4 the thickness of a GC drive. They Wiikey Fusion modchip is roughly 1/100 the size of the original DD. Maybe even less. If you wanted to spend a bit more money, The WODE is a nice option also, though its not quite as small as the Wiikey Fusion.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:54 am

Well, hopefully he has other plans, seeing as he would be hard pressed to fit the parts he has selected (and controls/controller) inside that case even if he kept the entire gamecube external. A pretty big battery, and are those speakers?? Oh wait, the screen isn't inside, it's attached to the front, So that'll be okay.

Interested to see where this goes.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

artthrash

Post by artthrash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi everyone, very intersting your comments.

Really the Gc disc drive is thicker than the Psone case. So i had to add 2cm to the case to make it a little thicker. in fact i was thinking on buy a wiikey fusion and make the mod, but, first: in Mexico city (where i live) is not very cheap and can't find it easy, besides that i would like to keep the Gamecube essence with mini discs.

Ok, let's start

The first thing i did was make the case a little thicker using glass fiber. Then i did the holes for de buttons, speakers, joysticks and "the case" for the lcd.

The following was to adapt the disc drive to the case. It will be placed where was the original drive of the Psone.

well, it's time to go sleep, wait for your comments.

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:55 am

nice work!
i like how you've used the prone disk drive shell and added the gamecube DD on.
it fits very nicely :)
good job, i too have the prone model like yours but i never thought of using it that way.
very interesting idea indeed :)

i like how you mentioned using the DD to "keep the essence of the gc"
I'm doing the same too,
wiikey fustion/sd loading is nice and easy, but nothing beats the old classic DD' disk stuff :)
through i also have an SDML disk with the sdml adapter and an 8GB card with some backup games to play via homebrew swiss loader :)

also i like the prone unit idea as a case, fits quite nicely and looks super :)

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

artthrash

Post by artthrash » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:41 am

hi again.

Today i almost finished the case. First i had to relocate the d-pad, cause it hindered to close the disc cover, i had to move it just a little to the left. after that, the "lcd-disc cover" can close "very well", the next pic shows it.

Then i made a pair of air inlets, no problem with this.

The next thing I did, was to adapt a hinge from an old portable dvd - I don't know what you think but i liked a lot this adaptation because that is practical and looks very resistent.

after all these things and cover a lot of details on de case with glass fibber and other stuff , I thought it was ready to be painted, and this is the result:

That's all for today. Tomorrow i'll show the worklog of the electronics.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:15 am

Nice work on that case man, Turned out very nicely!

artthrash

Post by artthrash » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:14 am

hi all. i have a dude.

ask this because yesterday i was testing the gamecube and the lcd, both connected at the same time to the lipo battery and just one of them turns on. If i plug only the gamecube to the battery it works very well, but if is plugged together the screen, only the screen turns on. :?

The capacity of the battery is 7.4v 2200mah. Do i need a more powerfull battery? i mean, can the cube may work with a 11.1v 2200mah battery or need exactly 12v. Obviously with a "biggest" battery, i'll need to add a regulator to get 7.5v for the screen.

The regulator is not a problem, i can get it easilly. My biggest problem is the battery, so please help me :!:

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 am

Based on what you've stated, I'm assuming you've built a custom regulator for your GameCube. As the original GC regulator needs at least a 11.1v pack to function properly.

It sounds to me like the battery you are trying to use maximum amperage output is not enough. @ 7.4v the GC draws roughly 2amps by itself. Add in an umodded PSOne screen that draws roughly 1.5amps by itself and you get a total of 3.5amps to run the whole system. if your battery is rated for any less than this maximum output then your system will not function properly. If I had to guess, the battery pack you have there is probably a 2 or 3amp max output pack.

P.S. If you LED Mod the PSOne screen it will significantly reduce the amp draw of the screen. Possibly by a whole amp or more.