Arcade Project Boards

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Arcade Project Boards

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Heyas folks, been a while since I last checked in here at the forums. I found a guy on craigslist selling a few arcade parts to clear his garage. Got me about 5 arcade boards for about $60, but they are project boards. They will require some work to get them a 100% up and running again.

Here's the games I got:
Double Dragon
Street Fighter 2 world warrior
Shinobi
Golden Axe
Super Mario Bros. (Not the playchoice version)

Now Street Fighter 2 is the only fuctioning or playable game, despite a few lines through the graphics. Double Dragon however is video is completely scrambled.
The audio seems alright, I can hear the coin chime, though right now the start button doesn't seem to pull it out of attract mode. I see a damaged cap on the board I'm gonna replace, its a round electrolytic cap running at 100uf and 16v. May check Fry's electronics for that cap and some testing equipment.

I have not been able to test Shinobi, Golden Axe, and Mario Bros because of their pinouts not being as easy as jamma. Mario Bros seems to have some 42 pin edge connector on the outside of a large brass enclosure around the 2 boards. Very bulky.

Ill get any numbers off them or some info online laters lol, starting this thread at
work.....cause its super slow....and boring.

rikitheshadow

Re: Arcade Project Boards

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Went to Fry's Electronics and found a replacement cap. De-soldered the old one off......technically ripped it off cause one of the legs was already pulled out. Soldered in the new one, but it still scrambles the video. I'll have a youtube video posted soon of my bad Double Dragon board and others....

If anyone has a suggestion of where to start for a DIY repair or knows a good place to send it to be repaired (fair price $) please help. Heh I have no experience repairing anything like this, but would love to learn.