Sega CD 2 spindle issue

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

focusmode
Sega CD 2 spindle issue

Post by focusmode » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey, I hope somebody out here has the answer to this question. My sega cd turns on just fine and the motor for the laser works. The motor that doesn't work is the cd spindle motor. I took out the motor and just to test it I hooked up a 9v battery to it and it worked just fine. Soldered it back into place and turned the unit on, once again motor doesn't respond. The motor shares the same power cable and circuit board as the laser lends motor which works just fine, so I don't think it is a bad board or cableing. Is my laser going bad and not sending a signal to spin the motor for the disk? Is that even how that works? Help?!?!?!?

Tralius
360 GamerTag:Tralius7

Re: Sega CD 2 spindle issue

Post by Tralius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Hey,
I dont know about the sega, but with general electronics there are the basic checks. It could still be the board, just follow the tracks from the motor and look for anything obvious. It should be getting enough amps if you havn't chaged the power supply in any way. This is a guess but I assume this motor runs all the time at the same speed and the laser changes its position to read at its own pace. If this is the case you can take your power from elsewhere on the board and wire it straight to the motor, after doing this just check it can read disks ok cause if its the wrong speed it would have problems I imagine. If you have a multimeter just check what voltage you have across the terminals when its turned on to see if you have a reading at all.

focusmode

Post by focusmode » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I was thinking about wireing a seperate switch for power to the spindle motor but then I thought of something else....during gameplay doesn't the disk stop spinning at certain parts of the game? If that is the case I am wondering if the disk spinning at all times would interfere with the part of the disk the laser is trying ro read. This also makes me wonder if the laser is the part that sends a signal to the board to cause when the disk needs to start and stop again. This is also why I was curious if I have a bad laser that can't read the disk then that signal never gets sent to start spinning the disk...? hmmm

Tralius

Post by Tralius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Hmmm, that is true, cause it doesnt spin without a disk does it...
Then yes, either the laser or the circuitry to the motor.

focusmode

Post by focusmode » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I am about to solder the power cable directly to the motor bypassing the board. I will post results

Tralius

Post by Tralius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 pm

I think it has a good chance of working, good luck :)

focusmode

Post by focusmode » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am

Well, soldering directly to the motor didn't work.... My only other option is to buy a new laser for the unit. It seems there is a website that specializes in laser lens' for practically everything out there and the optima 6 will work. Unless someone else come across this thread and can tell me what the problem is for sure....I guess this is my only option.

akaviolence

Post by akaviolence » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm

focusmode wrote: It seems there is a website that specializes in laser lens' for practically everything out there and the optima 6 will work.
Link?

Edit: Anyone know what site is being talked about here?
My NES-101 website.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:11 pm

look on ebay....I see tons of SCD 2 cheap.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs