All in one SNES controller arcade + How To

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

techgeek90
All in one SNES controller arcade + How To

Post by techgeek90 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:50 am

As much as I would love to play my snes on a tv some times that is just not practical, and after see protodojo put an arduino and a thumb drive that is activated by the konami code http://vimeo.com/6991298. I wanted to make a all in one controller, but not with a console inside, but something that would be able to plug in to the computer! Here how I made this possible!

Parts List:
Working SNES controller
4 GB USB flash drive
USB Mini Smart Hub
RetroZone NES/SNES RetroKit

Tools:
Soldering Iron
Hot Glue Gun
Wire Cutters
Various Screwdrivers
Knife
Dremel Tool (optional but will take less time and band-aids then a hobbie knife)
Trusty Dremel not pictured! HAHA

Here is how:
I started with a SNS-005 style controller like this

The inside of the back of the controller original looked like this.

Now using a Dremel I removed all of the non vital plastic inside the back of the controller.

Then I turned my attention to the thumb drive and USB hub removing both the plastic housings and USB connectors on both.
(Above is the progression of the thumb drive from plastic housing to striped with the USB removed and wrapped in electrical tape.)
(Above is the USB hub stripped of its housing and USB connectors with the thumb drive attached.)

Now solder in the RetroZone Kit based on the wiring diagram.
(This is every thing all soldered up and ready to go. I would test it now before gluing.)

After testing, glue all the components in. If you use the same USB Hub, glue the IC down against the SNES controller main board cause it can get a little hot! Also put some hot glue over all of your solder joints so if the controller gets jostled around they won't brake off.

And here is a picture of the finished product! By putting joytokey on the flash drive you could also use this to play flash games on the internet (FireNES Hint Hint)

I will update with video of the inside and of it working later. If you have any questions just drop me a line.
Last edited by techgeek90 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamer255

Re: All in one SNES controller acade + How To

Post by gamer255 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:01 am

cool.how much did it cost?

techgeek90

Re: All in one SNES controller arcade + How To

Post by techgeek90 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 am

SNES controller (Free if you have one or about $10 on ebay)
4 GB USB flash drive (Free if you have one or about $15 on newegg.com)
USB Mini Smart Hub ($5 on ebay just search for USB Mini Smart Hub)
RetroZone NES/SNES RetroKit ($17 plus shipping from retrozone.com)

The total for me was about $27 with the RetroKit and the USB Mini Smart Hub, every thing else I already had around my house.

techgeek90

Re: All in one SNES controller arcade + How To

Post by techgeek90 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks, expect a lot more cause I want to do this with a nes and sega master system controller.