benheck.com Forums

Videogame Hacking
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Xbox Live Update Preview
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 pm 
Compound Intelligence

I signed up for this a few days ago, got an e-mail tonight, and received the update when I fired up the 360 tonight. Surprised it happened so quickly to be honest.

I have to say the thing I'm most impressed with is the last.fm integration. Very cool. Strangely enough it reminds a little bit of the Zune software. The Facebook integration is what you would expect for the most part, although you can't send updates from in-game by the looks of it. Only from the app.

I even signed up for a Twitter account (jarjarisgod if anybody cares to be subjected to my random thoughts) so I could see how it works. It looks pretty slick actually and appearance-wise is much nicer than what the actual Twitter page is like.

The video marketplace seems to have been re-branded the Zune marketplace. The only good thing I can see about this is that it gives the Zune brand name some more exposure.

So far I think, if anything, this update shows that MS definitely had a long term plan in place when they released the NXE. Now some of the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place. Whether it is a good or bad thing, MS definitely appears to have finally made it into the living room and they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

So has anybody else on the forums downloaded the update yet? I'm curious to hear what others think of the new features.

Jones is on Twitter!

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Xbox Live Update Preview
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:56 am 
Portablizer

I have it also.

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or plan on using the Zune Marketplace. I just applied for the update to see how Microsoft would implement them all.

Looks like they did a nice job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 am 

I'm in as well.

A lot of people have been criticizing that you can't listen to last.fm while in games, and I agree that would be pretty awesome. I'm guess it has the potential to slow things down too much though. I'd also like to see the ability to auto-tweet when I start playing a game or when I unlock an achievement - that would be awesome. As far as facebook goes, it doesn't seem super-useful, although I like being able to easily look at picture galleries on there. I think the best part about facebook is that you'll be able to easily connect your facebook friends with their gamertags. It can help keeping people organized.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:36 am 

Black Six wrote:
I think the best part about facebook is that you'll be able to easily connect your facebook friends with their gamertags. It can help keeping people organized.
What? Gaming with people you actually know? What is this craziness?! Honestly that's the main reason I'm looking forward to the update, although I'm waiting until it's fully released to the wild.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 pm 

I don't like the idea of updates on game progress unless it limits it. If someone plays for 7 or 8 hours in a day, I don't want to get 20 updates. Everytime a new game comes out I'm going to have multiple friends sending out multiple updates and I hate the idea.

Ridonkulous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:53 pm 
Compound Intelligence

Black Six wrote:
I'm in as well.

A lot of people have been criticizing that you can't listen to last.fm while in games, and I agree that would be pretty awesome. I'm guess it has the potential to slow things down too much though. I'd also like to see the ability to auto-tweet when I start playing a game or when I unlock an achievement - that would be awesome. As far as facebook goes, it doesn't seem super-useful, although I like being able to easily look at picture galleries on there. I think the best part about facebook is that you'll be able to easily connect your facebook friends with their gamertags. It can help keeping people organized.

I pretty much agree with all of your points. Definitely was surprised that there is no capability available for doing a Facebook status update or a Tweet from the Guide button. I wonder if that is something that might get added in somewhere down the line after the initial launch of the apps passes.

Likewise I'm looking forward to the release of that Xbox Friend Finder Facebook app that was mentioned. Like Life of Brian said, gaming with friends is quite the novel idea!

Jones is on Twitter!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:15 am 

I'm on the preview program. Liking it so far. My opinions are as follows:

last.fm while playing games would be great but I can see where it would hinder online multiplayer.

facebook, I don't really care about having on my XBOX. Taking and uploading game screenshots or theatre videos from halo and the like to your profile, and then tagging your friends or their gamertags would be a sweet option.

twitter, I feel is kind of pointless for most regular people. This would be cool if you could send a tweet and then have it be a massive party invite or link to an achievement/screenshot/game video that only XBL users could follow

I don't care about the zune marketplace because I don't use my XBOX to watch movies at all. I might try it out to see if it's any good and then be able to have an opinion.