IDE/SATA to Arduino

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Axaj
IDE/SATA to Arduino

Post by Axaj » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Is it feasible (or even possible) to connect an IDE or SATA hard drive to an Arduino?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

nitro2k01

Re: IDE/SATA to Arduino

Post by nitro2k01 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

No and no.Too slow, too little memory, too few pins. You might be able to connect a floppy drive if you really wanted, but even then I'd recommend you do something more useful.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 pm

But it IS possible to connect an SD card. Trust me, when dealing with microcontrollers 2GB is a huge amount.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 am

XCVG wrote:But it IS possible to connect an SD card. Trust me, when dealing with microcontrollers 2GB is a huge amount.
Correct, but that's because the SD card standard is using a clocked data line. The microcontroller or whatever is sitting on the other side can send the data at any speed it wishes, up to a certain defined maximum speed. IDE and SATA are both using a constant speed which means that the host must communicate at a certain frequency, which the Atmega in the Arduino is far too slow for.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total