360 Controller Mod - Disable X-Axis...possible?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

StealthFC
360 Controller Mod - Disable X-Axis...possible?

Post by StealthFC » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 am

I am a huge Tiger Woods golf fan and am very interested in finding/making an XBox 360 controller mod in which the X-Axis on the left thumbstick is disabled. This would allow me to perform perfectly straight swings every time because the controller would only read straight up/down joystick movement.

I've searched the 'net high and low and have come up empty handed. Is this mod possible? If it is simple, I'd love to know how and if it's more technical, I'd be happy to pay someone who has the knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

:D

Aguiluz

Re: 360 Controller Mod - Disable X-Axis...possible?

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 am

It's possible if you cut off the potentiometer that controls X.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:09 am

Aguiluz wrote:It's possible if you cut off the potentiometer that controls X.
Or better yet, add a switch in the middle so you can turn the x-axis on and off. That'd be the way I'd do it.

StealthFC

Post by StealthFC » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

Wow, thanks for the replies! Awesome to know that it's possible to do and I especially like the idea of adding a switch unless added a lot more effort.

I've checked about for discussions/instructions for dealing with partially disabling the potentiometer and not finding anything that seems noob-friendly for accomplishing the task.

Anyone that could tell me how, lead me to who could, or if this is a project you'd be up to the task for with fair compensation, please lmk.

Thanks again!

:D

firemunkie

Post by firemunkie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm

actually its not to hard. just remove the pots, two of them with three solder points each per analog. then replace each pot with two 10k resistors. i dont have pics but if you go over to the shoryuken forums theres a lot of write ups on hacking the 360 pad. i just did it to build a wireless arcade stick for my 360.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:26 pm

*moved to proper forum*

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:46 pm

1.desolder entire stick,
2.bend midle pin on X-Axis so it can sit flat on the board, rather than going through
3.solder one end of a wire to the hole the middle pin goes through on the bottom of the board
4.place electrical tape over the middle pin hole on the top of the board, be careful; you still need the two pins beside it (this is to prevent current to the middle pin)
5.solder one end of a new wire to the bent pin on the stick
6.re-solder the entire stick back on the board (except ofcource the middle X-Axis pin)
7.solder the other ends of those two wires to eith end of a toggle switch

hope i explained that well

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Ya don't want to just cut the trace, that will leave the Axis floating and cause issues in games, and pulling the Stick means pulling the LT as well, just way more work than is necessary. The best way to go about it would be to cut the trace, then use a SPDT switch and a couple of 10k Resistors. With it done this way ya have the option to return the controller to a working default setup, and when the Axis is disabled it's locked in the middle position so it's not floating.

Exactly where you'll need to cut the trace depends on the controller version ya have, but they would all get wired up the same way after that.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

Grutz

Post by Grutz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Only thing you want to change, use a pot, one of the flat wheel ones, instead of 2 10 K resistors. I discovered that the controller isn't necessarily centered at half voltage. Also, unless you want to pay out the nose for resistors, the variance can be enough not to center the stick, especially in TW. I did it with the resistors first time, and it was just off enough I couldn't max out my clubs. The wheel lets you tune it to center.