Tested system today, turned system on, video and audio great, but buttons and controls didn't work. Rats. Opened up the bonnet, so as to speak, discovered a wire from the controller board to the PSone console had detached. Soldered that back on.
Showing this pic as it shows how easy, due to my design, it is to make repairs. Used a cut-up foam sanding block to keep the board elevated.
Put back the electrical tape over the controller board of course afterwards!
Tried again, same thing. Rats.
Discovered quickly that I had made one STUPID error - I had soldered the controller wires, and the memory card wires to port 2 and not port 1
so of course it wouldn't work!
Now, here's a funny thing, I had to this point avoided opening Ben's book to reference anything for this project, preferring to work everything out myself; but thought before I realised I connected the controller to the wrong port I should check the book. Looked at page 356 and 357.
I used an official PSone controller to wire to as there is no point making a guide using an obscure and hard to get hold of controller, as the pinout will be different - keep it standard, keep it simple; everyone can get hold of an official PSone controller even if they don't have one.
Ben's controller connected 9 wires from the controller to the PSone console, mine has 8 wires; so the wiring was a lot different to Ben's book. I noticed in a non-standard controller I opened up that it only used 6 wires, although the board was bigger with more components on it. I don't know therefore if Ben used a non-standard controller in his project or what the issue is - I have an NTSC PSone console which I got on e-bay on an auction I won an NTSC screen in; the controller looks the same UK and USA.
Bottom line is the easy method to ensure success is to use the same wires to connect to the controller as in the controller; then strip wires from the controller remaining and test which wire connects to which connection on the console board. I did this method, worked - has to - as long as A>A and B>B you have success.
Talking of success, after migrating my wiring from port 2 to port 1 turned system on and this time the controls and system worked fine
. Tested on Break-Out; which meant I used the d-pad, two of the four action buttons and the select and start buttons - all work fine, buttons don't catch, feels really nice. Different games use different controls, ie some use d-pad others joystick, some use shoulder buttons some don't, etc - so it means testing on a few games to make sure all works perfectly.
In saying that, I used 50% of the controls on this one game and all worked perfectly; which means I can have sufficient confidence to close the system up and get on with the guide and consider this project complete. I will test other games in the next days of course to be completely sure, but think to all ends and purposes the project is complete (once I fix in the rumble motors anyway).
I will now finish things off - put in the rumble motors, cover the system in electrical tape inside to stop shorts, make the recesses as needed so the sides close and then screw the system shut. In the afternoon I plan to get the oven going and make some cases. I will double check using the two case halves that all is still fine with the molds still; then I can check my documents to be included in the kit, make up the kit boxes, then when done let Stephen0205 know all is ready to do business, so he can progress on his project. I need about 6 case top and bottoms for my own projects forthcoming, I will make another 12 sets initially to make 12 kits for sale. If they sell I will make more. I have quite a few sheets of plasticard for the vacuum forming however I may need to buy more sheets as you always have wastage. After the kits are made and ready and boxed, I will remake my guide for my site and also make videos and pics of my system ready for "official" launch!