kasar´s second GCp project ,now of wood [with huge pics!]

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

kasar
kasar´s second GCp project ,now of wood [with huge pics!]

Post by kasar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 am

well, I´m back at the forums, and now I decided to make my second gcp.
I´m low of money, so I decided recycle my first project, and get most stuff from it.

my first project has a lot of stuff, but it wasn´t really portable, and it also haven´t a controller built it, it also was ugly, and heavy.

At my second portable I will remove all useless stuff, like another controller ports, some serial ports and video/audio ports.

this will be a single player system only , the weight and case will be also some of my priorites making this project.

I´m also short of plastic tools, so I decided make it a wooden case, cause it is the only material I can handle properly I think.

well, that is all for the moment, this is a just started project. for moment I only have a few hardware hacks to this project, but there is lot of work to do.

I also has been take some ideas from bacteria,gamelver and another ppl projects . like the dvd drive reallocation,case design... ect
(thanks a lot for all those little genius ^^)

I also has made some pics for help anyone at his future projects.
well I will start from dvd drive fix

I also made some modifications to the controller:

There is also some previews of my mobo mods

part of an unfinished case module, and part of the screen

and finally the pic of the "ugly" soldering tool im using ^^

Well, what to say .... :lol: ... there is a lot of work for do ^^

thanks also for all the info at this site and people who make this comunity posible.

I will post some pics and updates when the project grow at the next days
Last edited by kasar on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 am

Looking good so far! Are you going to go for a laptop design again? Or more handheld?

PS: Engine's run on gasoline, Motors run on electricity :lol:

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 am

ghosstt wrote:Looking good so far! Are you going to go for a laptop design again? Or more handheld?
thanks man, I think this time will be more like handheld,I am cuarently modding the controller to fit at the new case.I also posted a pic of the screen and part of and unfinished part of the front case (without paint and without controls yet)
ghosstt wrote:PS: Engine's run on gasoline, Motors run on electricity :lol:
thanks ^^

that is another sympthom of why my english sucks :lol:

at spain we use the word "motor" for both systems (gasoline and electricity) so I thought the word at english was Engine, but as I can see I´M WRONG :P

pic fixed!
Last edited by kasar on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 am

can't wait to see the end-results

by the way, how much was that screen?

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:06 am

grossaffe wrote:can't wait to see the end-results

by the way, how much was that screen?
thanks man

about the screen , It was about for 150€ and it is 8" (4:3)

here is the info:
http://www.xenarc.com/product/800m.html

but I bought it a long time ago, it is also discontinued and it no longer will be sold.and this screen also doesnt support pal60 and some ntsc modes.
so I recomend to use another screen
Last edited by kasar on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

I gotta say, that's looking so good, it's making me think I could do it, but I'm nowhere near that good at all yet. I've gotta ask, as I didn't see it marked anywhere though, what's the yellow square with the black tape all over it?

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:07 pm

CFC Fodder wrote:I gotta say, that's looking so good, it's making me think I could do it, but I'm nowhere near that good at all yet. I've gotta ask, as I didn't see it marked anywhere though, what's the yellow square with the black tape all over it?
Thanks man.

the "yellow square with the black tape" is a long history :D
but well I will try to make it short ^^
resuming, it is the qoob modchip (qoobpro), I shielded it cause I had problems at the first testing steeps from my first project,the battery droped some sulfuric acid and burned one of my qoob´s, the qoob its kinda expensive, so I buy another one, and I shielded it for be aware of any posible damage provided by the battery acid,after tried to seal the battery, it droped again, so all my attemps to seal it failed, so I replaced the bad batery for a sealed one. and after that I forgot remove the qoob shield.I think that explain what it is :D

Did you said you think you are able to do it?, so why not give it a chance? :wink:
Last edited by kasar on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Ah, okee. Now I understand what it is, thank you.

I'll attempt something a bit more complicated than an NES portable once I get one of those done. Until then, it's simplicity and a learning experience.

Leetsauce

Post by Leetsauce » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Hey kasar, i notice you only have a few wires coming from the power board. Can you sahow we what wires you have done?. Also, what dod the other wires do which you haven't soldered, they can't all be ground.
Gamecube & modding enthusiast.

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:55 am

Leetsauce wrote:Hey kasar, i notice you only have a few wires coming from the power board. Can you sahow we what wires you have done?. Also, what dod the other wires do which you haven't soldered, they can't all be ground.
yeah, I used gamelver´s info to get this done.

here is his post
Gamelver wrote:All right here's a pinout of the power regulator voltages:

first of all here's how the power regulator board looks:

all you really have to worry about are pins 12-22. pin 13 is 3.4v, pins 16-18 are 1.9v, pin 21 is 12v, and pin 22 is 5v. also you have to make sure you have ground.
here's the pins on the GC ( that box with the lines is the heatsink....I suck at paint):

pins 2 and 13 need 3.4v, pins 6,7,16,17,18,19 need 1.9v, pin 10 needs 12v, and pins 11 and 22 need 5v. just make sure that the pins that I've grouped together, like 6, 7, 16, 17, 18, 19 are connected together. they should be, though.

and that's how you only need 5 wires to attach the gc power regulator board to the GC board!!!!!!!!!!!!! that "bit of bad news" was that a gc regulator had fried and so I ordered another one....

* oh yeah if you turn on your GC and you don't get any sound, try getting the 12v not from the pin on the GC power regulator, but directly from the actual GC ac adapter. I also tried that from the 14.8v li-poly battery pack and it worked fine.
sorry for the reply delay, my connection was crapped again ^^, but now it go faster as usual :twisted:
Last edited by kasar on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:22 am

Well, I have some news concerning the project.

but first lets going to let you know guys where this weird project is being building.

MY OWN ROOM! :)

Well,after think a lot about if the BBA should be added to my project (I thought about it only two mins ... ^^) I finally added it.

what? why I added it?

easly, At my first project I made frecuently backups of my two 2048 blocks, a dol and a pc software to backup and restore savedgames from pc, .I also made some linux tests and a lot of another stuff, the BBA isn´t also very big for my project so, hell, I finally added it to the project. but as you know guys, I removed the serial ports to make it smaller, So how make this posible? easy, I reallocated and rewired the entire module wire per wire. here you have the pics.

and finally you can see at this pic the mod is working.

here you can see all my modified gc:
the gc network adapter is replying to the ping ,the default ip address using the qoob hardware is 192.168.1.32, I also tested the gcos server at the gc to send a dol from pc and it worked fine so I think everything related to the BBA reallocation has been done.
I also added more buttoms and wires to the controller, I think I also completed the controller rewiring, all required buttoms to reallocate has been reallocated (main joystick, d-pad, L buttom and L variable buttom.
pics here:

I also I´m thinking about the best method for pack everything inside the case, Here is a preview about the screen and screen controller allocation at the new case
Last edited by kasar on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 am

Looks really good so far! How is the DVD drive going to work? Just hanging open like on ben's ps1p?

Leetsauce

Post by Leetsauce » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 am

Wow, that's looking pretty cool. I have done one half of my memory card mod, putting the cable on th mobo, not such ahow decent the joints are, but it is set in hot glue anyway :P
Gonne need to hook up the power regualtor later. Also,my proper cube is broken. Think a wire is lose on the qoob, a tab and power goes from the qoob. :roll:
Gamecube & modding enthusiast.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I think I posted a nice diagram of rewiring the DD as to remove that huge port somewhere...

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:27 pm

ghosstt wrote:Looks really good so far! How is the DVD drive going to work? Just hanging open like on ben's ps1p?
thanks ^^
mmm,not sure.
it will be inside the box, I dont like have rotating discs outside the case :P, thats why i moded the drive
Leetsauce wrote:Wow, that's looking pretty cool. I have done one half of my memory card mod, putting the cable on th mobo, not such ahow decent the joints are, but it is set in hot glue anyway :P
Gonne need to hook up the power regualtor later. Also,my proper cube is broken. Think a wire is lose on the qoob, a tab and power goes from the qoob. :roll:
ty man, I also had some problems after upload the photos and post, I tryed reallocate more buttoms at the controller, but something went wrong and the controller is not working properly, some keys dont work, or work weird and the joystick seems crazy sometimes, so I think I will get another controller and place some buttoms there.

ShockSlayer wrote:I think I posted a nice diagram of rewiring the DD as to remove that huge port somewhere...

SS
links please :wink:
Last edited by kasar on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.