nes/snes portable - finished page 14

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:25 pm

lovablechevy wrote:thanks!

Life of Brian: i had decided to paint it white from the get-go. then i later read that you were painting your current one white. i was like, "great... now it's really gonna look like i'm just copying him!" :?
Or is it I who is copying you? :P I ordered a Retro Duo recently thanks to your research, so I think we got a 50/50 thing going on here.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Or is it I who is copying you? :P I ordered a Retro Duo recently thanks to your research, so I think we got a 50/50 thing going on here.
LOL! that is so true! i think you should totally do the retro duo into that dual portable that you designed a case for. this system really is easy to work with! it's a good starter system, i think. hard to fry or damage at all for that matter. if it wasn't for my wanting as close to perfection for my case, i would have had this done shortly after i started! :D
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:47 am

well, since many posts have been lost, i'll just repost my update...

to recap, the piece on the left is the top of the case. it contains the screen power (bottom) and the 8-bit/off/16-bit switch (top). the piece on the right is the bottom of the case. from top to bottom: dc jack, a/v out, player 2 port, & 2 headphone jacks.

i'm running into lots of problems i wasn't expecting. i didn't measure correctly and now i have to do a lot of modding to get it all to fit together.

things left to do:
  • hook up player 2 port & a/v out
    relocate snes cart slot (1/2 done)
    reinforce snes cart slot
    relocate 8-bit/16-bit power switch
    hook up controller
    finish painting
    shave out good portion of inside plastic from back half of case
    rewire one thing on leds so it doesn't drain batteries when not in use
    testing
    a few other odds and ends
my leds have been very finicky. but i think i figured out why... (see above list) anyway, they are working again as shown by this pic!

that was originally posted in a different thread. i thought i had fried my super joy iii, but i hadn't. that's why my screen and batteries are hooked up to it instead of my retro duo. just thought i'd clarify.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:47 pm

so, got a question. has anybody broken the cart slot before when trying to relocate it...? the reason i'm asking... i've relocated the snes cart slot, and it didn't work... checked all the connections... they were good... so, i took of those wires and redid it... still doesn't work... ergh. i'm frustrated with this.

things left to do (done/not done):
    relocate snes cart slot (1/2 done)
    reinforce snes cart slot
    hook up controller
    finish painting
    testing

newguy101

Post by newguy101 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 pm

i had done the same thing, only with my FC Twin, and am currently looking into what the problem is and cant seem to find anything legitimate. ive checked all the connections with a multimeter and all are connected correctly and none are touching eachother.... but at the same i had broke some of the wires of the ribbon cable that connects the 3 different boards together, i wired em back up using different wire and it still doesnt work. is it possible your ribbon cable wires were damaged as well? it took me a good 15 minutes of searching over the board to notice this problem EDIT: and i dont throw the board or really mishandle it at all, just seemed to be very weak at those points

not to get too off topic to your post... i did however use a larger gauge wire to rehook the ribbon cable areas back together and it could be the problem. next thing ill try is use some smaller braided style wires instead of the larger solid wires i used, hope it works

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 pm

newguy101 wrote:is it possible your ribbon cable wires were damaged as well?
no, my other connections are great. the nes side still works. it's just the snes side that's not working. but i'm in the process of taking the snes cart slot off my fc twin to switch it with the one in this project.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 pm

ugh...

i was planning on finishing the front of the system today (painting, clear coat, & installing the components). i had it all painted and was going to put just 1 last clear coat on. and then... it fell... onto cement. nothing broke, but there were some major gashes. :( so that has set me back... but, i'm close... there was just one corner that had the largest gash that i'm trying to get to looking normal again. maybe, just maybe i'll be able to get it all fixed and redo the clear coats tomorrow.

*sigh...*

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:24 am

Did you get your SNES side working again? That sucks about the case. I still haven't decided how I'm going to finish mine. I should soon, though. Otherwise, it'll be holding me up again.

Oh, I got the games the other day. I haven't been able to play them because my NOAC is torn apart. Thank you so much!
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:33 am

Tibia wrote:Did you get your SNES side working again? That sucks about the case. I still haven't decided how I'm going to finish mine. I should soon, though. Otherwise, it'll be holding me up again.

Oh, I got the games the other day. I haven't been able to play them because my NOAC is torn apart. Thank you so much!
no, i haven't gotten it working yet. i've been too frustrated with it to work on that part much. i'm just trying to get the case done right now.

good! i'm glad you got them! :)

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:49 pm

good news! this weekend has been a very frustrating but in the end rewarding time!

friday and saturday resulted in a lot of mess ups, accidents, and anger. but, today, i was able to get some of it worked out.

i was able to fix the scratches and gashes. i think you can't tell that it was messed up at all. i'm now back to just needing to put a few clear coats on to protect it.

i was also able to get the snes cart slot relocated!
chrono trigger

woo hoo! only took about 3 tries! and it's actually not such a bad thing! now i'm using the fc twin's snes cartridge slot. it has extended plastic with holes for screws. this will make it so much easier to reinforce it! i just need to get some L brackets now. anyone know of a good place to get L brackets...?

the only other major electronics thing i still have left to do is wiring up the controller. which, i don't imaging being too difficult.

finally, i feel like i'm really getting somewhere on this! :D

things left to do (done/not done):
    relocate snes cart slot
    reinforce snes cart slot
    hook up controller
    finish painting
    testing

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Do you have a local hardware store? A True Value or an Ace? They should have a whole section with hinges, screw eyes, and stuff. The L-hooks should be there. If you really have trouble finding them, let me know what size you're looking for. I know I can get them very easily.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:37 am

menards lowes and home depot should also have that sort of a thing

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 am

was at home depot the other day and they have about 2 meter's worth of hinges horizontally and going up of course mine may be different then yours but they were fairly limited.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:42 pm

thanks, guys! i'll check out those places. Image

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm

so i got the hacked up controller working and hot glued the connections on the section that the chip is on. then i was working on actually installing the controller into the front of the case... and the select wire came out from under the hot glue :shock: honestly, how hard is this going to be fore me to get the select to work again...?