HBN64 - N64 "Laptop"

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

HBN
HBN64 - N64 "Laptop"

Post by HBN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:28 pm

As you may know if you have read my Introduction thread, I'm planning on building a "Laptoped" N64 as shown in the digitally rendered image below with its many size errors (Nothings to scale, and I expect things will be a bit different in the end. But it gets the point across):

Well... PROGRESS REPORT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0214092261

I know its not much, but buying that, means I have the ability to start work.

Next step: Find a way to get those E-Torx out. They are proving most difficult (I'm reading the Sticky on that topic as we speak). After that, a period of absence as I save the cash for a screen.

The case I'm putting this in? Well... You'll just have to wait and see, now wont you? *evil laugh* :twisted: :twisted:

And for the record... Thats not my eBay screen name. Its my moms. I don't have a PayPal. If not for her, I wouldn't have been able to get that. THANKS MOM!!!
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

HBN

Post by HBN » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 pm

Cracked the case to the N64 I already had today. "Roach Clips" grabbed those E-Torx screws real well. I was very impressed (So was my dad, who tried for nearly ten minutes trying to get a hold of the middle-rear screw with a pair of needle nose).

Though, as I lifted the upper half off, I kinda had to laugh. Why, for the love of all things with a chipset, are there twenty-six immediately visible screws in the lower chassis of an N64? My Dell desktop doesn't have that many screws in it, and its over ten years old. I can't really complain, though...At least they're all Phillips-head screws.

I gotta say though, even keeping in mind that I haven't taken it totally apart (I want to make sure I got a safe place for the parts. For now, its staying in its semi-protective lower-shell with the upper sitting on top.), its a fine piece of equipment. Small, and light. I'm happy I chose this as my first mod-subject.

When I'm able, I'd like to sell the empty case (Jungle Green - translucent. I'd say its in near-mint condition. Let me know if your interested (PM only, please).), but as I said, right now its protecting the immensely fragile N64 motherboard.

Next task, as I said before, is to save up for a 15" LCD that will match, or come close to matching the system-wide voltage (Size subject to change, but not by much).

This is also the point where I'm in need of an much info as I can. I'm starting to get a little nervous. Advice? Tips? Tricks? Anything you got. Thanks.

I'll put some pics up later (In this reply) for proof of progress (As if counting the internal screws isn't proof enough), for now: SLEEP!

HBN, over and out. *Salute*

EDIT: Couldn't sleep. Took a few pics. This is the best of them. Don't mind the "HBN" logo. Its a habit that crossed over with from protecting my artwork. Hope you can see everything okay. If not, ask, and I'll take a few more shots.

As you can see, its still screwed to the bottom chassis. Hopefully I'll have a place I can safely set "unprotected" electronics soon so I can take it out and fully record its width/depth/height, and sell the full chassis. *Case has been sold
Last edited by HBN on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:16 am

arrrgh, how can you sacrifice a colored N64?! Open the black ones, damn it

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 am

I think you paid a bit much for the e-bay bid, never mind.

The e-bay bid showed a black N64, yet you have green. If that is the case, you did not get what you paid for. Yes, this is important, the coloured N64 were much more likely to fry when you do a mod, than black ones.

There isn't much point in making an N64 into a lappy, as you can't have any controls or whatever on the lappy base and there is no need for a keyboard; you just end up with a blank base which holds the screen (a bit like on the pic). One idea however, as this isn't being held, it doesn't matter if it is thick or thin, if you made the base thick enough to take the controllers and a few games, as well as the electronics, you would have a built-in system; although it would be fairly thick. Just an idea. The official N64 controllers suck to use easily, there are some third party ones about which are nice to use, like the "Superpad".

Having a thick case also means you will have no issues at all with mounting the system in the case, unlike handheld portables where most of the project effort is making things small. You could simply transfer the existing board and its heat dissipators as they are into the new case. This also means less chance to fry the system. This also makes this project easy to complete quickly and more of a mod than a hack.

If you want to build your own case, to suit, use 3mm perspex as an idea.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:33 pm

More likely to fry? I wonder why?
goodbye.

ok, I'll stop rhyming now.

But seriously, the colored N64 are worth more than the black ones, technically. So buy a black one, once you fry this

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Kyo wrote:arrrgh, how can you sacrifice a colored N64?! Open the black ones, damn it
Easy. :D.
bacteria wrote:I think you paid a bit much for the e-bay bid, never mind.
I actually checked it out using several sites, including Amazon. I would have paid more than double that if I had bought the console, and the games individually. So, yeah. It was expensive. But in the long run, it saved me.
bacteria wrote:There isn't much point in making an N64 into a lappy
Your not the first to have said that. So let my explain, once again: Some of the handhelds I've seen are about the size of a small laptop as it is. And how I see it, if its gonna be that big, I might as well have a screen to match.

Also, its not going to be as thick as you think. I got tricks up my sleeve
Kyo wrote:But seriously, the colored N64 are worth more than the black ones, technically.
I am aware. As I said, once I'm no longer in need of it, the case is for sale. *Case has been sold
Last edited by HBN on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:14 pm

There were reports before that N64's in coloured cases (ie later models) are more likely to fry than older ones.

Size? - mine will be 14mm high (plus case), including heatsinks (8mm tall), etc - I doubt yours will be slimmer than this! The expansion slot will also be flat and not sticking out; and included in this design.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Dang, I'm interested in buying that case off you. What kind of price are you looking for?

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm quite happy...
Got a store here locally, I can get N64's for 5 dollars, and colored ones for 8 - 12.

I think an N64 laptop will be rather interesting. We'll see!

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm

In this update, I wish I had better news.

I got the motherboard out today - not 20 minutes ago, actually - and in a final attempt to make sure it was still good...Fried it.

And the thing is, it was an incredibly stupid mistake. I put the Expansion Pack in backwards. I plugged it in...flipped the switch. Power light came on, and I heard a popping sound an instant later - which was probably the processor. Then the light went out.

I'm literally emotionally crushed right now. I wanted so badly to do this. And I failed.

This is...Not the end. I'm not giving up. Just with the money situation, its a major setback. Now what money I've saved for a screen goes into buying another N64. Maybe two.

To those of you who tried to help me, and gave me tips, and to bacteria for the wonderful step by step actions on how he did the N64 Advance (Which showed me exactly what I was getting myself into.). Thank you.

I did learn a lesson in this, however: "Check what your doing before you do it."

Hey. We all make mistakes. Even Ninjas.

I'll update later. For now...I'm gonna tear into the motherboard. Its dead, so I might as well get the sizes I need to do what I want.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Actually, that doesn't mean its dead. If the red light stays on but nothing happens (no audio, video etc) then it is probably dead. It is probably "sleeping". I have put mine to sleep putting the expansion pack in backwards, but it woke up a few days later. The N64 has an on board breaker that trips sometimes if something happens. It automatically resets itself, so give it a couple days and try it again. However, it may in fact be dead. I have already fried 5, working on 6:lol:, and I have been VERY careful.
Last edited by Neildo_64 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, I'll be careful not to touch anything. Its fully exposed at the moment :shock:!

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Even a shoebox or other cardboard box is some protection. Plastic storage totes are cheap, too.

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 pm

To bad it's not like the ps1 mobo. I leave mine all over the place and just toss it around no protection no grounding and its still kicking :). But now I might have jinxed myself. But I don't believe in that so it wont happen. :)

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:37 pm

I know for a fact that putting the exp. pack in backwards shorts out the 3.3v line and puts it to sleep for a while.

It should be ok, Ive dont it before.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"