I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

az_bont
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it...

Post by az_bont » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 pm

I purchased one of these a few weeks ago, and it arrived just before Christmas.

It looks like a simple re-branding of a very similar (and more expensive) TecToy product, and there are also videos of a PAL version on YouTube.

It features 20 Genesis/Mega Drive games, a small-but-decent LCD screen, and contains a cable for connection to an external display, for $39.90 at Play Asia.

I've not been brave enough to take the case off yet, but it looks to me as if the boards must be considerably smaller than on the Radica devices.

The games are as follows:

* Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
* Alien Storm - Alien Storm
* Altered Beast - Altered Beast
* Arrow Flash Arrow-Flash
* Columns III - Columns III
* Crack Down Crack-Down
* Decap Attack - Decap Attack
* Dr. - Dr. Robotnik´s Mean Bean Machine Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
* Ecco - Ecco
* Ecco Jr. - Ecco Jr.
* E-SWAT: Cyber Police City Under Siege - E-SWAT: Police Cyber City Under Siege
* Flick - Flick
* Gain Ground - Gain Ground
* Golden Axe - Golden Ax
* Jewel Master Jewel-Master
* Kid Chameleon - Kid Chameleon
* Ristar - Ristar
* Sonic and Knuckles - Sonic and Knuckles
* Shadow Dancer – The Secret of Shinobi - Shadow Dancer - The Secret of Shinobi
* The Revenge of Shinobi - The Revenge of Shinobi

Having not played with a Radica myself, I can't comment on how it compares, but I can say that the sound is a little inaccurate, the graphics will very occasionally go a little (or a lot) glitchy, and for some reason Sonic & Knuckles will sometimes reset to the SEGA logo mid-level. Nothing too objectionable for the price, made ever more sweet by the current state of the US Dollar compared to the British Pound.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a look at one of these, and whether there are is any prospect of it being altered to accept alternative games, whether by cartridge or flash ROM?

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:46 pm

it looks like just a rebranded version of the tec toy handheld. The only difference is a minor change to the faceplate mold. Maybe the reason the Tec Toy version was so expensive was because it was in Brazilian money?

At any rate, that does look like a nice handheld, really sleek. How big is it? could you take a pic next to a ruler or a quarter or something to give us an idea of size?

Tec Toy/@ games should make a cartridge slot add-on for ~$10 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like a Yobo Genesis clone should be just around the corner :) .

fruitbane

Post by fruitbane » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey az_bonkt, have you had a chance to open this up and take a look inside? I'd love to see some pictures. It'd be great if we could wire a cart slot to this.