SNESp finished! (videos page 3)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
SNESp finished! (videos page 3)

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Aside from a couple more details I need to take care of, this portable is finally finished!

The black cartridge looks so good with the black portable :D

From left to right: Missing headphone jack (will be put in next weekend), AV out, player 2 port, and DC aux jack
(EDIT: Headphone jack done - sounds great in stereo!)

This is a switching regulator from Dimension Engineering. This combined with an LED mod on the screen and two li-ion batteries running in parallel should finally give me the adequate play time I long for :D

Messy AND color coded.

You know those useless reset buttons from the SNES mini? I used a couple of spare ones I had lying around to give a nice trigger action on the shoulder buttons. I'd equate it with the force needed to pull an XBox trigger.

"Making of" link

Rundown of features: 5" Zenith LCD screen, stereo headphone jack, AV out, player 2 port, rewired cartridge connector, wicked awesome shoulder buttons, two 7.2 v 2400 mAh li-ion batteries wired in parallel, and a DC auxiliary jack (cuts off power from batteries automatically when plug is inserted). Alas, no RGB video. I tried, but to no avail. Perhaps on the next one...

Still needs to be done: figure out how to wire the headphone jack so that the speakers cut off when using headphones (anybody got a diagram or something?) and do a brightness mod. The screen's just a little too dark for my liking. Edit: I figured out how the headphone jack works. Anyone needing this information can find it here.

I've got to say, the ZN-40 enclosure from Polycase.com makes for a mighty fine portable.
Last edited by Life of Brian on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:36 pm

nice... whats the black cartridge game.

plan on selling it? (the portable)

benol

Post by benol » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Oooh! So sleek and professional. Take that, Ben!
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:40 pm

VERY nice, man. 8) Great job for a "first" portable, Brian! I'd say this one and Kurt_'s are on par for SNESp of the year so far!

CTFan

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm

ganonbanned wrote:nice... whats the black cartridge game.

plan on selling it? (the portable)
Never played Killer Instinct? It's so... extreme.

I am not selling this one, but I am building another just like it for a very patient person.

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:43 pm

Heck yeah. Thats how it's done. Your stuff is great dude. (you used to be Joedog weren't you? How did a name change come around?)

How did you like working with that case? I Love that thing. Have any trouble getting the screen cutout perfect?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:46 pm

G-force wrote:Heck yeah. Thats how it's done. Your stuff is great dude. (you used to be Joedog weren't you? How did a name change come around?)
Thanks everyone. Yes my screen name used to be joedog86, but I had it changed recently for personal reasons.

I suppose I'm one step closer to "portablizer extraordinaire" now. 8) If I ever got around to finishing all my half-done portables I'd be a legend around here :roll:

Edit: Ack! You added to your post. That case is great and easy to work with. It's slim, yet roomy (if that makes sense). And of course it's always a chore to get square corners and straight edges for the screen.
Last edited by Life of Brian on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:49 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:VERY nice, man. 8) Great job for a "first" portable, Brian! I'd say this one and Kurt_'s are on par for SNESp of the year so far!

CTFan
Seconded, though I'd have to say the kurt_'s is a close second to this, the ability to take it apart without destroying it is always a plus. :wink:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:09 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:VERY nice, man. 8) Great job for a "first" portable, Brian! I'd say this one and Kurt_'s are on par for SNESp of the year so far!

CTFan
First?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:18 pm

awesome. man I love the reset button idea for l and r I may need to steal that one

your case turned out great too. your skillz(with a z of course) have definitly improved with your portables and this is one of my favorites :)

honestly though the batteries are the one and only thing that look out of place. if there is room and if li-polys were cheaper they would be awesome in this portable.
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:your case turned out great too. your skillz(with a z of course) have definitly improved with your portables and this is one of my favorites :)
Hey, likewise for your Super Portendo. That thing is beautiful.

The batteries themselves are held in place with some super duper 3M fastener from RadioShack. It's not like traditional Velcro. It's more like plastic rods with knobs on top that interlock. It's great! When I make a video of this in action, I'll remove the batteries so you can see how they're mounted.

There is a thin space between the boards inside the portable. How thin do li-poly's come?

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:33 am

Very professional job! I appreciate your skills.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:41 am

I'll say it again, extremely nice portable. Mine's never gonna be that good... Not my first one anyway!

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Very Nice 8) One of the better portables I have seen recently
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 pm

This one tops mine! I would say CTFan was just being nice, but he bought mine. :P

Li-Po batteries are usually a standard width of 4mm (for the smaller ones) to 9 (for the bigger ones). Mine were around 4-6mm and were 4000 mAh. According to batteryspace.com, their 4400 mAh battery is 5.4 x 67 x 100 mm.

With a few wooden spacers and a ruler, you can find how much spare you have to spare.

It looks like you'll have enough room if you clean up some of those wires, routing them to the edge rather than straight down.
Hey, sup?