Gameboy Pocket [Frontlit or backlit]

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Mc2Elite
Gameboy Pocket [Frontlit or backlit]

Post by Mc2Elite » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:49 pm

I just recently got a hold of a GBP and was wondering if anyone has done, or would know how to do a permanent screen lighting for it.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:43 am

I might be wrong but I heard if you were to front/backlight a GB that it would wash out the image on the screen.
Meh, I don't post much.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:49 am

I know it has been done with the original GBA.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:09 pm

jedi knight wrote:I might be wrong but I heard if you were to front/backlight a GB that it would wash out the image on the screen.
Very correct. I tried adding a Hip Gear Screen Pad back light to my GBP and GBO, washed out the image beyond belief. The Game Boy Light used an indigo back light:

Not too sure about how they did it, but it could just be the angle they used and possibly some type of lens that focused the light properly.

Before you give up, though, try experimenting within the stability of your abilities (don't break the ****).

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Is that your GB light? They're so hard to find.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Bibin wrote:Is that your GB light? They're so hard to find.
Nah, got that off of Google - but I do happen to have a Light that I bought for 50 bucks from someone on these forums. :)

Felino

Post by Felino » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Probably a few (2) leds, and some diffusing and the thing may work. Is the back of the screen reflective, if so, then that has to come off. You will need a lot of difussing. :D
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Yes, the GBA used what was called "Afterburner". It was basically a front clear screen of light, with a reflective clear cover on the LCD. It worked, but looked crappy, everything looked pixelated (the front clear screen of light).

I bought some flat ultra-bright LED's recently, I thought some time I would try to improve this design; nothing to lose, and I have a couple of spare screens and a working GBA mobo I bought at a car boot sale for £2 ($4). May as well have a go sometime!

DK

Post by DK » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:35 am

Always wanted to this myself. So much so I started a thread about it with my own idea's

http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... it+gameboy

Basically use electro luminescence film. I know it was used in the GBL but sorta have no proof.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:30 am

DK wrote:Basically use electro luminescence film. I know it was used in the GBL but sorta have no proof.
It has been done with ti-86 calculators, so thats what I assumed it was in the GBL, plus the blue tint, too.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:25 pm

bacteria wrote:Yes, the GBA used what was called "Afterburner". It was basically a front clear screen of light, with a reflective clear cover on the LCD. It worked, but looked crappy, everything looked pixelated (the front clear screen of light).
I had me one of those. It looks great if you do it properly.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 pm

I just opened up my GBC, and shined a superbright LED flashlight through that wierd foam stuff, but light only got through in a little space on the screen. If I was to remove that foamy stuff, would I get a clear LCD? If not, how can I easily get a clear LCD?

My idea is to take the clear LCD, put some white printer paper behind it, then light it with EL film.

vskid

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Bibin wrote:I just opened up my GBC, and shined a superbright LED flashlight through that wierd foam stuff, but light only got through in a little space on the screen. If I was to remove that foamy stuff, would I get a clear LCD? If not, how can I easily get a clear LCD?
Theres the foam and a metal plate. When you take the metal off, bend the corners away from the screen first, otherwise they'll hit it and crack it. I have a GBA screen in the striped down condition, I'll post a pic of it if you want.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Sure, that'd be great. Also, is it possible to reconnect the foam in case I decide I want it back?

vskid

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Thats a GBC screen, I couldn't find my GBA one. The paper is from a piece of paper I put on the back to keep cat hair and that from getting on it.