Soldering Iron

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Amphibologism
Soldering Iron

Post by Amphibologism » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:52 pm

I was not certain as where one would ask this... but, what would be the best soldering iron when portabilizing? Best as in watts, or even a brand would be great.

Thank you in advance. :D

EDIT: Eck... I just decided to open my eyes I guess (I was reading the descriptions for each sub-forum and Forum 42 did not even phase me).... I'm sorry for the incorrect placement of this thread, delete it if you must.
Last edited by Skyone on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't worry about it - moved.

stuntpenguin007

Re: Soldering Iron

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 pm

I would recommend a 15 watt iron. That way you don't damage anything you're working with.

as for a brand, I just use a radioshack soldering iron. Hasn't harmed any of the 3 xbox's I've soldered, or my n64.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

limpport

Post by limpport » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:03 pm

You don't want anything over a 30W iron. Unless you like destruction and failure, don't even think about a soldering gun. I would also recommend a de-soldering iron, it will be one of your most valuable tools.

Radioshack 15W soldering iron, $9
Radioshack de-soldering iron, $11

So $20 isn't that much to put into the tools that will be the most essential to portables.
Last edited by limpport on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:07 pm

limpport wrote:You don't want anything over a 30W iron. Unless you like destruction and failure, don't even think about a soldering gun. I would also recommend a de-soldering iron, it will be one of your most valuable tools.
OR A PROPANE TORCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better let me stay the only one who uses one of those for desoldering jobs on electronics; wouldn't want to see anybody ruin any of their boards or components on it.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:27 am

Well since it's bumped,

If you're asking for the BEST iron, I could recommend a nice $1000 station with hot air rework and the works, but I'm sure price is an issue to for you.

So, fixed irons are ok, but they have one flaw. When you touch the iron to the contact or whatever you're soldering, the temperature drops by a large amount. It will slowly begin to heat back up, but while you're waiting you can very easily damage your components.

That's why soldering stations are great. They automatically adjust their temperature back up, and if you get a good one it will do it very quickly. If you look you can find good ones for great prices. I just bought an awesome weller WES51 for $55 shipped, and it's great.

Good luck.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:02 am

the radioshack 25w irons are not terrible, they arent great either. my fave for detail work is my weller WM120, its 12w and TINY downside is its a little pricey. another NICE one is the weller pyropen, its a butane powered one, its a little more expensive but no wires and it gets hot fast!