Nvidia ION Handheld - Opinions?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Nvidia ION Handheld - Opinions?

Post by bicostp » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Before we start, yes I know about this thread. I've just been lazy about posting this.)

A few weeks ago I stumbled across the ION demo videos on YouTube. In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NvidiaIon
http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

Basically they took Intel's 1.6 ghz Atom processor and paired it with their GeForce 9400m chipset, which increased performance while decreasing power draw. They estimate the cost would only be about $50 more than Intel's current Atom package offering. (Which is an old, slow chipset that runs really hot compared to the Atom itself.) This got the ol' gears turning. Why not build a handheld netbook tablet, so you can get real on-the-go computer fixes without using traditional PDA crippleware?

An hour later, this fell out of Photoshop:

Smaller than an Apple Newton, bigger than a Fig Newton. :lol: I figure to include enough space for all the necessary parts it would be a little under an inch thick. (No engineering degree here, that's just a realistic guess. It could be thinner.)

Basically it's an EEE PC based on Nvidia's platform, crammed down into a fat PDA. It would run a tablet PC edition of Windows 7 (because it would take that long to put together), since it's basically a miniature slate PC.

Instead of built-in controls, it could snap into different cradles that connect via the dock port. There could be one for gaming that adds PS2 style controls to it (replacing the analog sticks with something similar to the PSP's more pocket friendly analog thing), and one that adds a thumb-size keyboard like the Samsung Q1's.

If you look up videos of the Asus N10 netbook running games, you'll get an idea of what this is capable of. (The N10 has the 9300m.)

Additional features I forgot to add to the image:
- At least 32 GB SSD or 120 GB Microdrive (similar to the iPod Classic's)
- Splashtop (the web environment Asus markets as ExpressGate that boots in 5 seconds)
- Roughly 5.5 x 3.25 x .9" (at least that's how big my cardboard mockup is)
- OLED screen if they can be made to spec cheap enough
- Dock would include DVI, VGA, Ethernet, additional USB, and audio ports, and a standard-size laptop DVD drive, in a case the size of a desktop optical drive.
- Screen can be used in landscape or portrait mode (I think Nvidia already does this with their drivers; ATI and Intel do.)
- 1 standard DDR2 SO-DIMM slot

The only main issues I see at the moment are battery life and cooling. Depending on how warm the chips get, it could be possible to run under an inch thick. Battery life is tricker. Obviously it would need a proprietary lithium battery, but they make those pretty small now. (the one in the iPod Nano is about 800mAh and it's freaking small...)

If you want I could try taking pictures of the cardboard mockup against other devices... But it's about the size of the original DS.

TL;DR: Imagine playing Call of Duty 4 on a computer a little bigger than a PDA.

What do you think?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: Nvidia ION Handheld - Opinions?

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Ok, I think I'm wating to get the ION instead of the regular Intel motherboard with the Atom 330 for my NES.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 pm

I think thats the smart way to go.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Here's my concept:

Clamshell design. One big HD screen on top. One smaller, low-res touchscreen for control/onscreen keyboard. Two analogue sticks, one dpad, four action buttons, four butt buttons, and I forgot the eight multipurpose buttons that were supposed to go on the sides of the screen.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 pm

How are you going to close it with 2 analog sticks in the way? :?

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm

bicostp wrote:How are you going to close it with 2 analog sticks in the way? :?
Pandora style perhaps?

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:56 pm

jleemero wrote:
Pandora style perhaps?
Yeah, I was thinking low-profile analog sticks like the PSP's, but I suppose the Pandora's would be a better example.

I'd love to see something like this come to reality, mainly because I want a portable internet device that doesn't suck.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm

So, $50 more than the current atom. How much would that be?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:13 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:So, $50 more than the current atom. How much would that be?
depends on whether it's the 220 or 330. I'll say it's the 330, which is around $80 from newegg. That would make it $130.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37 pm

You slam the lid down!

Very nice concept, bic. Fairly realistic, and still looks like it'd be pocketable. It just depends on how big the hardware is, LCDs end up bigger than thought because of the controller and lightbox, we don't know how big the ION board will be, and batteries will probably outgrow the case size if battery life is more than an hour or two. There is this ION mockup, if we could get boards of that size for a decent price, desolder the ports and wire directly to them, it would probably work for our needs. Maybe it could have an external battery if an internal one couldn't last long enough to be usable.

Will this actually go anywhere, or will it go the way of all the past PCp ideas we've had (I hope not)?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am

from what i understand the ION platform actually has higher power requirements (on the order of 20% mebe more IIRC) than current netbook platforms but makes up for that in performance gains i assume.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 pm

I think with this sort of technology, it would be easier to make an "xbox"-esque hanldheld.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Triton wrote:from what i understand the ION platform actually has higher power requirements (on the order of 20% mebe more IIRC) than current netbook platforms but makes up for that in performance gains i assume.
I've read it takes anywhere from 50% more to 50% less. Doesn't seem like anybody bothered to put a multimeter on either platform, when powered by the same PSU. (A lot of review sites use two completely different power supplies for each platform, which creates a large margin of error.)

You have to remember, the chipset in the Eee is vintage 90nm 2005 tech. We've come a ways since then. :lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Personally, I'd rather play a game for an hour, than watch a slideshow thats supposed to be a game for two hours. Battery life is useless if you can't do anything.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:43 pm

vskid wrote:Personally, I'd rather play a game for an hour, than watch a slideshow thats supposed to be a game for two hours. Battery life is useless if you can't do anything.
damn straight.