Meet the DSi LL folks

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel
Meet the DSi LL folks

Post by nightwheel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:25 am

The rumors are true. Today, at Nintendo's press event in Tokyo, the company announced a revised version of the Nintendo DS.

Dubbed the Nintendo DSi LL, the new portable will feature a 4.2 inch screen. Priced at ¥20,000 (US$220) the DSi LL will be released on November 21. The "LL" refers to the extra large size.

The redesign comes at the request of customers who said they wanted a larger screen, and the screen is a 93 percent increase over the DS Lite's screen size. The DSi LL is geared for those who want to use their Nintendo handheld for internet and as a music player as the larger screen is able to displayer letters and characters in a bigger font.

The DSi LL is bundled with a longer touch pen (129.3mm), and comes will three DSiWare titles pre-installed: Two brain training games (one for humanities, the other for sciences) and DS Easy Dictionary. Releasing in three colors, the DSi LL will be available in Dark Brown, Wine Red and Natural White.
Source: Kotaku

Wow.... it been less than a week since the rumors about this thing started flying around. So there you have, in less than a month. Japan is getting a version of the DSi with 4.2inch screens.

I don't know what to think of this at the moment. On one hand I think it's cool and just enough to make me think about getting the DSi. (If Nintendo brings it to the states too.) But on the other hand, I see it as another unneeded DS version.

Whats your guys thoughts?

(Updated thread with more info that was added to the kotaku post)
Last edited by nightwheel on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Re: Meet the DSi LL folks

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:32 am

Already? Sheesh.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 am

I bet the resolution is all the same.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:40 am

how about a size comparison:

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:01 am

Here i am waiting for the DS Micro and they are going in the wrong direction. This is prolly geared towards old people complaining that they cant see Dr Brain-Age or their Nintendog or their Blood Pressure.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:01 am

The rumors are true. Today, at Nintendo's press event in Tokyo, the company announced a revised version of the Nintendo DS.
YES! Now we can expect at least 2 more years before anything regarding the Gamecube portable. This gives me plenty of time to put Nintendo out of business!

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:06 am

I would of bought this if it came with SNES sized buttons

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Since when do handhelds get larger in their lifespan?

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm

If the screen is the only thing new and the resolution is the same then all this thing is is a handicap device for old people and a waste of our time. :wtf:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 pm

More of Nintendo milking their overpriced hardware for all it's worth. :wtf: What's the point? Aside from web browsing and playing videos, I can't think of anything you need a bigger DS screen for. (And both of those functions are irrelevant if they kept the same very low screen resolution.)

Watch, next they'll release the DS LL and Wii in a rainbow of fruity colors. (iDSi and iWii?) :roll:

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:08 pm

But... Why?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Tchay wrote:
YES! Now we can expect at least 2 more years before anything regarding the Gamecube portable. This gives me plenty of time to put Nintendo out of business!
What...? Not making a gamecube portable. Sorry. Rumors often are false, and why would a company go back in time?

Oh, and bicostp, I wanted that from the beginning, and apparently now in the UK they're going to have a black wii.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 pm

snowpenguin wrote:
Tchay wrote:
What...? Not making a gamecube portable. Sorry. Rumors often are false, and why would a company go back in time?

Oh, and bicostp, I wanted that from the beginning, and apparently now in the UK they're going to have a black wii.
Yeah, that whole "gamecube portable" thing was a possibilty back in '05 or whenever it started, but not anymore. That'd just be dumb. Unless you just mean a portable that's as powerful as the gamecube, like the DS is as powerful as a 64, and a GBA as a SNES.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 pm

smitty wrote:
snowpenguin wrote:
Tchay wrote:

Yeah, that whole "gamecube portable" thing was a possibilty back in '05 or whenever it started, but not anymore. That'd just be dumb. Unless you just mean a portable that's as powerful as the gamecube, like the DS is as powerful as a 64, and a GBA as a SNES.
Whoa!!! that was just a rumor??? You mean that photoshopped picture of a portable gamecube isnt real??????? I can't believe it

But seriously, what else would I mean :? the DS is essentially a portable N64 in terms of graphics and what not. Thus a "portable gamecube" would not be going "back in time" at all...its the next logical step after a DS. Obviously it would be better than just a slimmed gamecube, I'm just calling it that because there isn't any other name for it yet. I hope you werent expecting a JUMP in the pattern and have nintendo go straight to a portable as powerful as the wii. Portable GC follows the same pattern as EVERY other portable by nintendo..... :facepalm:
Image Image

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 pm

A DS is not a portable N64. It is not. It is a DS. It may be similar in power, but it's obvious why a portable today would have yesterday's home console's power. Otherwise, it's completely different. It's not like you can plug an n64 cart into a DS.

And it's just the same that when people were anticipating the DS, they weren't talking about a portable gamecube, they were talking about a new handheld.

You're waiting for a new portable, not a portable gamecube.