Zune or iPod?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue May 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:If you have more then 32GB's of music, thats just crazy.
Call me crazy. ;)

About 80% consists of personal rips (I've been collecting CDs for a LONG time). The majority of the rest is live stuff and bootlegs.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Well jones, the only place I can see still carrying it in a store would be a Circuit City somewhere. It's not on their site anymore, but I know my friend bought one there last year for about $200. You should check out the Vision W, though, as they're only $230.

I talked to someone today about this, and though he's never owned an iPod, he used to have a Zen Vision M and now owns a Zune 30. He complains about the software for it like everyone else, and he also says the Creative software was extremely nice in that it was very easy to sync, edit ID3 tags, etc. He's got the white Zune 30, and he also said that it gets scuffed quite easily, though I don't know how well he treats it.
*In lame Captain Jack Sparrow voice* Very well! I shall have to take a look at one of those when I wander into CC the next time.

They should have all three options there for me to peruse it seems. Hopefully I can come to some sort of conclusion! :)

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 pm

jones wrote:Some people I've noticed have been through 3 or 4 video iPods due to a number of issues. It seems like the iPod is the Xbox 360 of MP3 players! :lol:
Definitely not THAT unreliable. The reason that you hear about reliability issues more is for two reasons: 1) There are more of them and 2) You're not going to bother going and trying to tell everyone you know that your iPod is working: if it dies, you'll tell everyone to avoid it like the plague.

Mostly it's just the over 70% marketshare thing. More people buying=more players on the market=more players that break BUT the percentage of broken iPods would still remain the same. If I sold 100 iPods and 1 of them was defective, I'd have a 1% failure rate. If I sold 10,000,000 iPods and 100,000 of them were defective, I'd still have the same 1% failure rate but it would look like there were more problems.

P.S. I've owned two iPods (well two that I've bought outright for myself anyway :roll:) and neither of them had problems. One was a refurbished 20gb iPod 4th Gen which is still going after 2.5 years (gave it to my dad for a birthday present) and the other is a 30gb iPod Video 5.5 Gen that's still going after about a year.

P.P.S. I also buy, repair, and sell iPods. There are only three problems that I come across: broken screen, broken headphone jack, broken hard drive. The first two are easily avoidable by being nice to your PMP (don't chuck it at a cement wall or pull it by the headphone cord). The last one is an inherent problem with a hard drive based PMP, whether it be a Zune, iPod, Creative player, or whatever. The hard drive is fragile and susceptible to damage. Because it is in a portable device, it will get knocked around (no matter how hard you try) and the hard drive will eventually fail. This still boils down to being gentle with whatever PMP you decide on, as you can significantly prolong the hard drive's life by not jarring it while moving (aka don't buy a hard drive-based PMP to go jogging or pogo-sticking).

Hopefully that helps in some way.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 pm

samus wrote:i have one of them thar 30gig zunes. not the touch pad one, the old brick one. it gets scuffed up really easily, and the zune software really sucks. i mean, it syncs and does everything it's supposed to do. you just can't change the tags on songs to sort them out. so what i'm left with is a huge list of "unknown artist" songs that i have no freaking clue what they are until i go through every single one.
Thought this might be of particular interest to you.

New Zune Update

Apparently it is at version 2.5 (just came out yesterday I think) and one of the "enhancements" is...

Find and edit song, album, and video info. We've made it easy to update the metadata for your music and videos so your stuff will show up right where you expect it.

I tried it out and it seems to work pretty well. It allows for editing multiple tracks at once, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Hope that helps!

DK

Post by DK » Wed May 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote: If you have more then 32GB's of music, thats just crazy
I must have about 100 gig of music :twisted:

Have a hobby of backing up and digitally restoring vinyl and other old school musical media. and maybe the occasional torrent

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Wed May 07, 2008 6:24 pm

thanks jones! holy crap, guess i haven't been paying much attention in the last few weeks due to finals, but i'll definitely get that ball rolling when i get home this weekend. awesome.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed May 07, 2008 6:43 pm

samus wrote:thanks jones! holy crap, guess i haven't been paying much attention in the last few weeks due to finals, but i'll definitely get that ball rolling when i get home this weekend. awesome.
No problem. Hopefully it now does what you need it to do.

Finals... Ugh! I don't miss those days. Hang in there!