What is the worst book you ever read?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:16 pm

dudex77 wrote:Pretty much any book that I'm forced to read by my english class sucks. THey might be decent books but being told that you have to read something takes out all the enjoyment from it. Though I had to read 'A Raisin in the Sun' and that was just bad no matter how you look at it.
I read A Raisin the Sun in LA 12. Imagine a whole class of white kids reading a play about a family of black people, WTF.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:30 pm

gamer2 wrote:
dudex77 wrote:Pretty much any book that I'm forced to read by my english class sucks. THey might be decent books but being told that you have to read something takes out all the enjoyment from it. Though I had to read 'A Raisin in the Sun' and that was just bad no matter how you look at it.
I read A Raisin the Sun in LA 12. Imagine a whole class of white kids reading a play about a family of black people, WTF.
Now imagine that that class of white kids is predominately British and that's my class. I don't understand it but apparently making tired old '------' jokes is perfectly acceptable in international schools. :shock: In America you would get your ass kicked for saying half the stuff the kids in my class say. Can someone tell me if most British childeren are racist or if it's just the ones that move to Spain?

edit by mod: no racial slurs. -bic
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:39 pm

ganonbanned wrote:a book I really liked that no one else did was animal farm, so I guess im weird, lol
It simply means you understood it, most people don't like it simply because they're too dim to see the hidden meaning behind the pigs, the hold shift in the government, and the ending (I won't give it away)

Worst book? Ethan Frome, Never Let Me Go, The Scarlet Letter, probably forgetting some.

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm

The two worst books that stick out in my mind are Ethan Frome and The Biography of Frederick Douglas. You are a slave and it sucks, I get it already.

Of course, of the books I read willingly, The Gunslinger was kind of a let down. Thank god it's gets better as the series goes on.

Also, apparently Finnigan's Wake is supposed to be one of the most bought but never read books out there.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:55 pm

The Hatchet. If I ever meet Gary Paulsen he's getting kicked in the throat

Ecksem Diem

Post by Ecksem Diem » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:37 am

soundwave wrote:Worst book? Ethan Frome, Never Let Me Go, The Scarlet Letter, probably forgetting some.
Oh man, I forgot about Ethan Frome. Ugh. Man's wife is terribly ill. Man's wife's cousin comes to help tend to wife. Man starts nailing cousin. Wife is kind of pissed about that. Man is supposed to be sympathetic. Man is not.
wallydog wrote:The Hatchet. If I ever meet Gary Paulsen he's getting kicked in the throat
I've never actually read Hatchet, although I did read Brian's Winter, which apparently is some sort of alternate universe sequel to Hatchet (*SPOILER ALERT!*) where, instead of him getting rescued at the end of Hatchet, he isn't rescued and thusly must survive the winter. That said, it was very good.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:53 am

Super Mulletman wrote:The two worst books that stick out in my mind are Ethan Frome and The Biography of Frederick Douglas. You are a slave and it sucks, I get it already.

Of course, of the books I read willingly, The Gunslinger was kind of a let down. Thank god it's gets better as the series goes on.

Also, apparently Finnigan's Wake is supposed to be one of the most bought but never read books out there.
I thought The Gunslinger was great, The Drawing of the Three, good, gets to be just okay toward the end. The Wastelands kicked ass. Wizard and Glass, meh, got really good in the end, though.
Still have to read the final three...

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:49 am

soundwave wrote:
ganonbanned wrote:a book I really liked that no one else did was animal farm, so I guess im weird, lol
It simply means you understood it, most people don't like it simply because they're too dim to see the hidden meaning behind the pigs, the hold shift in the government, and the ending (I won't give it away)

Worst book? Ethan Frome, Never Let Me Go, The Scarlet Letter, probably forgetting some.
Ya that was a good book I agree. Indeed you need to "get it" though.
Call me crazy but I loved the harry potter books until 5. It ruined it for me, nothing happend.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:55 am

I didnt think the Harry Potter series got going until five...
1-3 were kids books, 4 was getting there, 5-7 were kickass.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:57 am

i agree ethan frome was a really stupid book! as for hatchet being bad i quite enjoyed it (and seeral other books by gary paulsen) the whole dark tower series is AWESOME but the ending is kinda disapointing, i have to say the drawing of the three and the wastelands were my favorites (blain the mono is awesome lol)

Dilberitio

Post by Dilberitio » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:58 pm

The worst book i have ever read is The Winter room by Gary Paulsen.
Searching! What's that?

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:00 pm

The Mzungo boy.

-endorn

Post by -endorn » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:45 pm

brute orbits - the only book i've ever given up on. It looked good: Science fiction plot about sending convicts to live on an asteroid, but BOY did it suck. It turned into a plot about gay people gang raping each other, a transsexual in hiding, and ramblings about how the middle class could recruit the poor to take over from the upper class. Image

And by the way, I thought hatchet was excellent, but the movie is one for Ben's crap movie nights.
Am I missing an eyebrow?