Vintage portable TV project

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Kalam1ty
Vintage portable TV project

Post by Kalam1ty » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I found a Bentley 100 at Goodwill recently and I have been itching to modernize it. I want to replace the insides completely with an 5" LCD screen and hopefully video input and cable working. It will basically be a new mini-TV with a vintage case.

There is, however, one problem. I don't know how to do this. That's why I really need you guys to help me do it. I am willing to research, I just need people to tell me WHAT to research. Any tips I should know?

Please, please help me guys... I really want to start this project. THANK YOU!!!

jaqiefox

Re: Vintage portable TV project

Post by jaqiefox » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:05 pm

(oops deleted that image from my imageshack account)

this?

Do you want to upgrade the picture tube to an LCD? if so that will make everything massively easier.

If you do, just measure the viewable area diagonally (from bottom left to top right) of the current screen, add like a quarter inch (youll gain that much making the curved picture tube area flat to recieve the lcd) and find an LCD TV which has that size and is non-widescreen and has the inputs you want. After that, you will have room inside that huge thing for all sorts of things, maybe even a pico itx motherboard for a tv-pc to play shows on, or a gaming system, or whatever, along with some massive batteries and a charger for them.
Last edited by jaqiefox on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com

Elena12

Re: Vintage portable TV project

Post by Elena12 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:19 am

Horizontal and vertical sync problems are common in all vintage TVs. That set wasn't unusual. Recapping and one adjustment did the trick.

As I noted before, this is not the easiest TV to restore because all the components are crammed into a small space. If you're looking for a first project, you might want to start with something a little roomier in the chassis.
Recipes of raw food diet
African Grey Parrot is an incredibly sensitive bird.