screen "clicking" as it turns on

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
screen "clicking" as it turns on

Post by collinE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:43 am

My 17" monitor is making a clicking noise when I turn it on. it's been hacked and connected to my 360.

It clicks for several seconds and then it's fine and the noise goes away. If I turn the monitor off and back on again it either does it for a shorter amount of time or not at all. I think it has something to do with the warm up that a monitor usually does, but I'm not sure.

Anybody know what I'm talking about and what might fix this problem?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

coukos34

Re: screen "clicking" as it turns on

Post by coukos34 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 am

Just saw your post. Are you getting video? Is it dim?
Did you extend the wires that go to the monitors backlights?
I had this problem and it was because I extended the monitor backlights with regular wire. I did some research and apparently special wire is used for backlights (it is thin but has special resistance or something like that). I purchased some of this special wire and that cleared it up perfectly. I cant remember where I purchased from but just do some googling if this is your issue.

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 pm

I didn't extend the backlight wires at all. The video isn't effected, it was just the buzzing, and then it slowed to clicking, then stopped. An electronics wiz that I talked to said it was the inverter for the backlight warming up and that it was either the length of the wires for power or that I didn't have them taped down. something about the frequency being just right and making the wires vibrate. I don't know about any of that, but I taped them down and it got a bunch quieter and with it all assembled it's barely audible. That's interesting about the wire type, though.

Ridonkulous

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:49 pm

if you've already had a poke around and nothing seems burnt then you've probably thought of it, but it may be arcing on the inverter, did you mount the inverter on anything metal ?

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:29 pm

it's mounted on a layer of electrical tape, on top of the metal part of the LCD, but even when it was completely lifted away, it would do it.

Ridonkulous