The perfect amplifier/speakers to go with your small screen.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp
Re: The perfect amplifier/speakers to go with your small screen.

Post by Rekarp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:48 am

/gets me a shovel
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 am

I'm all for DIY too, but that price doesn't *sound :P pun intended* too bad. I've used LM386's in the past and haven't been overly thrilled with the quality of the audio. Haven't used a TPA6021A4 though *looks up datasheet*. Plus, those speakers that come with that set seem like they'd be able to reproduce low frequencies pretty well (part of me is an audiophile and I like to have my stuff sound good).
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am

kibble wrote:I'm all for DIY too, but that price doesn't *sound :P pun intended* too bad. I've used LM386's in the past and haven't been overly thrilled with the quality of the audio. Haven't used a TPA6021A4 though *looks up datasheet*. Plus, those speakers that come with that set seem like they'd be able to reproduce low frequencies pretty well (part of me is an audiophile and I like to have my stuff sound good).
Yes LM386's aren't the best audio quality but for NES and Atari based portables (mono) you don't really need anything more. Now for Stereo the TPA6021A4 is hard to beat for quality.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I would probably ending up building the amp myself. The only problem with the prebuilt on IMHO is that there is no headphone jack, which is a major drawback to a portable device you play in public.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I have never even used the headphone jack in my portables. Never made sense.

Seriously how many times am I going to be hauling around my Ncube or Dreamtrooper and playing it in public ?
And if I do people always come up and want to play it or see it. And if they don't I just turn it down to low volume.

But to each his own :)
Last edited by hailrazer on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:33 am

+1

I think hail should just be given a little Praise here, I mean I like to save money and build it myself, but what about those other members who don't quite understand How to make an Audio amp? I mean sure there are Schematics; but Not everyone can read them.

I think its a nice Alternative if you can find it cheap enough, Thanks Hail. :P
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:41 am

Michaelthurston wrote:+1

I think hail should just be given a little Praise here, I mean I like to save money and build it myself, but what about those other members who don't quite understand How to make an Audio amp? I mean sure there are Schematics; but Not everyone can read them.

I think its a nice Alternative if you can find it cheap enough, Thanks Hail. :P
I appreciate it Michael. :)

I make a lot of threads trying to test things and find things for people. And I spend a LOT of money testing things . And it's VERY frustrating when I post a thread and get replies like "Just make one yourself", or "but the original is fine" or "why don't you just solder the extension".

I mean there are threads for building your own amp if that's what you want to do. There are threads for keeping the original. There are threads for soldering a GC drive or a PS2 drive. What I'm offering is an alternative and usually a very good /quick/easy alternative. If it's not for you then great , do it your way. If it is for you , use it.

But I do wish people would be a bit more appreciative of the effort other members put inot making portables, making mods, finding parts and supplies, etc :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

kibble

Post by kibble » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:15 am

Your troubles are appreciated by this person! I like to see what gems other people discover and then I think about how I could incorporate the interesting ones into my projects. I like to do the same, but at the moment I'm not making very much money to just go out and buy random things to take apart. :( Thank you for your efforts.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Indeed.

Without Hails help I sure wouldn't be done with my Portable by now :lol:

Thanks hail :)
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

killercottontail

Post by killercottontail » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 am

*Edit: New Thread*
Last edited by killercottontail on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I reject your reality and substitute my own.” -Adam Savage

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 am

killercottontail wrote:While not necessarily cheaper (same price as iLuv: $20), these speakers are available at Radioshack and have a power switch, volume control (wheel), and run off 4.5v. I prefer the volume wheel over tact switches, but that is just personal preference. The sound quality is very good and the whole setup is relatively small.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/accu ... rs-reviews

I will post pics of the innards soon.
Looks like it might be good. But please start a different thread for it :)
My Portable Systems:

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm

It would be cool if somebody make kits for us who like those 3.5 LCD screens... *hint*hint* :) I would buy one for $15-20.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 pm

thewizdawg wrote:It would be cool if somebody make kits for us who like those 3.5 LCD screens... *hint*hint* :) I would buy one for $15-20.
that kinda defeats the purpose of hacking and modding in general. also, thats less than the thing actually costs. :o
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:54 am

I removed the power on button for these speakers (Got 2 for $8.15 each). But when I bridged the connection together, no sound. I disconnected the solder and then remade the connection while it was on and the speakers came on. Is there a way to bypass this?

collinE

Post by collinE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm

gamemasterful wrote:I removed the power on button for these speakers (Got 2 for $8.15 each). But when I bridged the connection together, no sound. I disconnected the solder and then remade the connection while it was on and the speakers came on. Is there a way to bypass this?
Sorry, to bump this thread, but I'm dinking around with this and it's definitely an issue when using this iluv setup.

It's not the type of circuit that interrupts the signal when you push it, then reconnects it when pushed again. That's why bridging it doesn't help. I don't know how to work around this, but I'm thinking you'll have to include the iluv power button to turn sound on and off in your portable. Maybe if you're modding a newer system like a ps2, ps3, or 360 that uses a tact to power on, you can connect it to that button and the sound will turn on with the system, but if you turn off the system with the remote or controller, then the sound will still be on.

just some thoughts.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous