Need Help with this Screen i found.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

bliofet
Need Help with this Screen i found.

Post by bliofet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Hey everyone, I've been looking at the forums for years but never actually posted anything; also never had the budget to make my first Portable (I'm 16 BTW). But now I do !
Actually, my friend is giving me his PS2 Slim, i'll just have to buy stuff to make the case and some lithium batteries, i'll make a post on the PS2/GC/XBOX section later if I need any help for those...

But for the moment, I need help with an old LCD screen i found, i bought this VCD player yeeeeeears ago in Singapore while I was on holiday and I decided it would be the screen for my PS2 Portable. Problem is, i have no idea on how to get it to work, I'de like to know if anyone could help me.

Heres the info I got, with some pics:
-5" screen
-It accepts video in (composite) it's written on the player AND i checked it (managed to play xbox360 on it :p)

On the first picture, here's what i know:
-The yellow plug (top right) is Video in (composite) jack
-Blue circled area are the batery connections
-The yellow circled area are just the buttons (play, pause, sound +/-, etc...)
-Then green circled area is just there to make sure the CD lid is closed.

Thanks a lot

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Need Help with this Screen i found.

Post by hailrazer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm

What do you need to know?

You will need to put the whole thing in the portable. You can "probably" remove the dvd drive itself, but you will need the rest.

Hook up power, hook up composite and there you go.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

bliofet

Post by bliofet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 am

No actually i'de like to know how to find wich connection go where, keep the top of the board, the part with the LCD and the sound and throw the rest (botom part, the one with the CD player). I've got a multimeter but I have no idea on how to pinpoint the composite and sound signal from the connection on the CD Board to the black cable...

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:31 am

You can't. The bottom part processes the signal and translates it for the LCD.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

bliofet

Post by bliofet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 am

Aw crap, it's so big :(. But how do you know that the LCD Driver isn't the board stuck behind the screen itself ?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am

bliofet wrote:Aw crap, it's so big :(. But how do you know that the LCD Driver isn't the board stuck behind the screen itself ?
That is the ld driver board not the LCD controller board. Educated guess but that's the way most of them are .
My Portable Systems:

bliofet

Post by bliofet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Alright then :(. I guess i'll have to make the portable a bit bigger.