Xbox; Modchip or softmodding?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

MichelMoermans
Xbox; Modchip or softmodding?

Post by MichelMoermans » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 am

Hey guys,

I wanted your input on what I should do with my xbox. I just recently bought one expanding my console collection a little more and I have to say I like the xbox but I want to expand my possibilities with it.

I've been browsing the internet and I can't get around whats best softmodding or installing a modchip?

A lot of sites get the xbox live argument but since that doesn't excist anymore I was wondering what you guys think at this moment is best to do? and if chosing either softmod or modchip, what is the best program to softmod or the best chip to modchip with?

I solely want to use this to play games with. Burned on a dvd or put on the harddrive (Perhaps I would consider expanding the hard drive, but to how much?)

For now I have my eye on this modchip: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ic-aladdin ... -360-68122

Harlequin

Re: Xbox; Modchip or softmodding?

Post by Harlequin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 am

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

If you are using xbox ver 1.0 - 1.5 you should TSOP flash it. It gives the same results as a mod chip but doesn't cost you a dime. On top of that, it's fairly simple to do.

If you are using xbox ver 1.6, you *might* want to chip it. The only advantage to chipping it is that you can do away with xbox error codes, as well as the need to lock the hard drive. From a modding perspective it eliminates the requirement for the DVD drive, allows you to change your booting order and gives you a few more options. You won't have to worry about what would happen in the future if your xbox suddenly had it's hard drive die.

like I mentioned above though, 1.0-1.5 can be TSOP flashed and I would go with either of those routes. If it is a 1.0-1.1 I'd take the highest bios from team executor (I think? been a while) it's a 512 MB bios. 1.2-1.5 can take the final flavor f the iND bios with is 256 MB.

Softmodding gives many of the same results but it doesn't future proof the xbox. If you are going to tsop flash your xbox you will likely need to softmod it in the first place anyways.