PS2P using USB ADVANCE, Anyone done it?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

GW2
PS2P using USB ADVANCE, Anyone done it?

Post by GW2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:11 am

I wanted to build a PS2 portable and eliminate the disc drive (although admitedy that wouldnt take much off the already slimline console). I've already modded the PS2 with freeMCboot but the compatability is around 30% of loading games off the IDE drive on a fat PS2. Has anyone done this yet and is removing the DVD drive going to cause a probem with boot up? If compatability isn't good enough for some of my games I may just end up leaving the disc drive in and using it only for games that wont boot from usb. Either way just looking on some input on slim ps2's with hard drives for loading.

Just another note, I found a guide on how to use an IDE HDD on the slim ps2 but as far as I can tell the HDD get's reformatted every time, so that seems kind of useless unless someone has figured it out since then.

BANDERLOGIE

PS2P using USB ADVANCE Anyone done it

Post by BANDERLOGIE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 am

Oh thanks Just what I was looking for, but unfortunately I cannot get TARS working either. I got TARS running, beta 36 running, and with the server running on my machine me my client connected to it, just says TARS: Not running.

Anyone know how to make this work?

ProgMetalMan

Re: PS2P using USB ADVANCE, Anyone done it?

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:36 am

Earlier slims have the IDE pinout.

You could use a compact flash since it's compatible with IDE (rearranged pins) to make it faster.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

GW2

Re: PS2P using USB ADVANCE, Anyone done it?

Post by GW2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

BANDERLOGIE wrote:Oh thanks Just what I was looking for, but unfortunately I cannot get TARS working either. I got TARS running, beta 36 running, and with the server running on my machine me my client connected to it, just says TARS: Not running.

Anyone know how to make this work?
What the hell is TARS? Use swap magic to install FreeMCBoot (or 007 agent under fire or and ARMax) and then install openPS2Loader. go to freemcboots website and there are a ton of guides on how to hack your PS2.
ProgMetalMan wrote:Earlier slims have the IDE pinout.

You could use a compact flash since it's compatible with IDE (rearranged pins) to make it faster.
Better solution found for 700XX slims (which is what I have). Buy and install one of these and use Open PS2 Loader (because it has better compatability than HDLoader, although you might as well install both in case) to load your games with full speed from a SATA drive. This is the solution I'm going for. Another note from what I've read wiring IDE drives to slims they wipe themseles every reboot unless the stuff I read was out of date. Either way this new solution is definitely what I'm going for in my PS2P.