Cutting up an official GC controller.

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Ashen
Cutting up an official GC controller.

Post by Ashen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am

Been doing a bit of work to see how small I can get the official GameCube controller, these are my notes so far. The pinout for the controller chip is accurate. You can wire all of the button signals right to the chip itself. If you don't care about retaining rumble I think we may actually be able to just remove the chip and wire everything directly to it. I'll be doing some tests over the next few days. Anyway here is what I've got so far. I figure where I've shown in these pics its safe to cut back to and retain full functionality. The Rumble part of the controller can be completely relocated.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

morgrif

Re: Cutting up an official GC controller.

Post by morgrif » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm

So if I understood you right, you're saying that you can get a controller split in those 2 red boxes, add some wires, and all works?

Noob question I never saw answered, I know that controllers are mate with some "conductor" stuff and when you press a button you make a "bridge" between the 2 conducting parts producing a response signal witch ends up in my question, I never understood what DOES really gets passed trough, on hte GC controller it's a 3.3V impulse? correct me if wrong and sry for the "noobidity" I only recently started on the more "core" modding thing.

Thanks and will be waiting on an answer.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 pm

1. Yes, I've done it multiple times now.

2. If I remember right, there is some voltage on each "button press line" when pressed, the buttons are grounded.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

morgrif

Post by morgrif » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey there again Ashen.

I've been working arroun the controller since today afternoon and my idea is to cut the controller arround ABYX part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkaSO6Gz53I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw that vid of youres and there's some stuff I'd like to ask you that will help me and some other fellows that might have hte same question after me. I been hopping arround looking for controller stuff and found this (done by bentomo): http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/ ... 0_1194.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/ ... 0_1195.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On youre movie there's a grey power cable going from the controller to somewhere in the ABXY board bit. Am I right in guessing that what you did was to sand there a bit till you found the metal plate and soldered the wiere there just for 5V feed? Let me know.

Second, how would you feed the R trigger tough? from what I observed, there's some "go trough to the other side" somewhere but I need to know if it is inside or outside my cut area. If not, where should I put a feeding wire?

Thanks for all the help. I'll be waiting on youre answer =)