How do i make a portable?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

SanchzBoyz

Post by SanchzBoyz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I don't have much experience. I would like to know how much it would cost to make a portable. Also, i would like to know what i should start with. All answers (except mean ones) are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!!
Tekken is one of Namco's best series.ImageImage

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: How do i make a portable?

Post by c_mon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 am

How much to make one by yourself or commission someone to make one for you? Also, which system to portablise or other features determine the final price...
I TAKE COMMISSIONS FOR CNC-ROUTED CASES AND PORTABLES... JUST P.M. ME!

SanchzBoyz

Post by SanchzBoyz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 am

Ummm.... Which one would cost more? Commissioning someone or doing it yourself?
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!!

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm

It depends on your skills. If you fry screen or console mobos, you may spend more than expected. If you can do it without frying any mobos, your own work should cost less. Finally, if you want to commission someone, I can help. Just p.m. me..
I TAKE COMMISSIONS FOR CNC-ROUTED CASES AND PORTABLES... JUST P.M. ME!

SanchzBoyz

Post by SanchzBoyz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 am

ok. thanks for your help!

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Well most of all people start with a NES. Pretty simple and cost like $120 if you have nothing. I right now could start one for $60. $60 for the screen. But if you want to have more of a chalenge start with a Gamecube (Not recomended for NooBs. I went through 3 boards all ready in 2 days. )
Rohan The \/\/ind \/\/aker
I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay

SanchzBoyz

Post by SanchzBoyz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:14 am

Ok thanks for the suggestion!

killersquirel11
360 GamerTag:killersquirel11
Steam ID:killersquirel11

Post by killersquirel11 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:Well most of all people start with a NES. Pretty simple and cost like $120 if you have nothing. I right now could start one for $60. $60 for the screen. But if you want to have more of a chalenge start with a Gamecube (Not recomended for NooBs. I went through 3 boards all ready in 2 days. )
The thing with gamecubes is that they're pretty much the cheapest system out there at this point. If you go wall power and cheap screen, you can easily have a complete portable for under $100:
$20-30: Gamecube+controller
$25-50: LCD Screen

If you want battery power, you need to either get a screen with built-in battery & charging circuit, which simplifies the amount of work you have to do but also limits you to the batteries that the oem put in, or get your own batteries/chargers. If you go anything under 11.1V batteries, you will need to do a custom power supply (free with samples from TI, otherwise around $30).

As for the actual modding of the gamecube, as long as you are careful, take things slow, and follow the guides found online, you will probably be fine. Hacking/modding depends largely on your patience and diligence, as well as having some knowledge of how electricity works.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him

SanchzBoyz

Post by SanchzBoyz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Gamecube had some good games so it would make a good portable. Same with ps2

forumfinder

Post by forumfinder » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am

I'll give you a hint type in on google (how to make a portable gamecube) then click on the one that says read throw the guide and do it at the last part it will be incomplete after that you can go back to this website and go to one of a project that Halizer is doing and ask him how to add the screen and the controls.I hope it helps :D :) :mrgreen:

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Late much?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

superben51
PSN Username:superben52

Post by superben51 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Plus I don't think halizer would like to answer simple questions like that when there are guides out there to do it.