Using a laptop battery to power a GC portable

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

agentwd40
Using a laptop battery to power a GC portable

Post by agentwd40 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi, I'm new to console modding and me and a friend are trying to build a portable gamecube. (We've never worked on consoles but we've both built computers before so we know what we're doing when it comes to motherboards and wiring)

We're still in the planning stages and I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out how to rig up a power source. We are using a gamecube with a PSone screen and I was wanting to run them off of as few batteries as possible. The best solution to me seemed like I should just take the battery out of a laptop such as this one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 0&bih=608#

has anybody tried it before?

Also, will we be needing a step down regulator to run the PSone screen off of the battery?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Using a laptop battery to power a GC portable

Post by hailrazer » Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 pm

There's no point in using a laptop battery. They are just Li-Ion cells in a big plastic shell. You would still need a pcb and smart charger.

Might as well just buy Li-Ion cells and wire them together.

And yes you will need a step down regulator if you are using 14.8v batteries.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

agentwd40

Re: Using a laptop battery to power a GC portable

Post by agentwd40 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm

hailrazer wrote:There's no point in using a laptop battery. They are just Li-Ion cells in a big plastic shell. You would still need a pcb and smart charger.

Might as well just buy Li-Ion cells and wire them together.

And yes you will need a step down regulator if you are using 14.8v batteries.
Yes, but from what I've seen so far it might be cheaper to buy a laptop battery... although I don't think I could use one without taking of the plastic shell. So it might be safer to go with your idea. (although about twice as expensive.)

Are there any good battery rigging tutorials out there? I've seen tutorials on just about every other aspect of gamecube modding but none specifically on battery rigging.