AngelArm1110's PS2p - the Kingdom PS2!!!!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

AngelArm1110
Re: PS2p hailrazer style

Post by AngelArm1110 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 pm

i think something has gone horribly wrong. i hooked up the laser cable again, (i used a very thin shrink tubing to insulate it) and the laser would not fire. i know the wires are all correct, but im thinking the laser driver has been compromised. either that or the laser head s damaged, which is easily replaced, but, if it is the driver, than this mobo is dead, and i'll have to redo it

Fluffy

Re: PS2P hailrazer style

Post by Fluffy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:12 am

AngelArm1110 wrote:hey again, just a little update; i got my battery today, and despite my request to have it shipped USPS, it was shipped UPS, costing me an extra 25 bux on delivery (GAHHH). but now i have it, and i am confident it will be perfect for my project!!

GAHHH indeed! I hear you on UPS in Canada; they've screwed me too many times...

U P S = Use Purolator Stupid

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:05 am

well its been about 5 months, but i've finally resumed work on my PS2p. yesterday i went down to the hook shop, and picked up a fresh (used) ps2 to gut and start converting to portable status. what really amazed me though was how fast i got all of it done. i was able to remove the controller and memory card ports within a half hour, and all i need to do now is install the new mod chip, and cut off the usb ports, and the mobo will be ready to go.

man i feels good to get workin on this again :D :D

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:40 am

well i think its certainly a viable option, i was myself thinking about incorporating a usb port into the case design so i would have the option to use a flash drive or hard drive to play off of, but with the fact that it loads so much slower, and the added challenge of overactive battery consumption, i decided to just go the traditional disc drive way (especially since one of my usb ports is going to power the case fan). however, if you wanna pursue the Memor32 method, then it would definitely set your portable apart. in fact it would be almost like a PSP GO, what with the removal of the disc drive, and the games booting from the on-board flash memory :)

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 am

um, its like a place you can go sell ur old stuff for a really low turn around, about 10 cents on the dollar i think. but you can go in and buy stuff from it too. its a good place to find semi obsolete items for semi reasonable prices. they also sell surplus items from other stores. when i went in there was a table with like 10 used ps2s on it, and only one of them was 79001.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 pm

jesus tap dancing christ that was a long 2 hours!!!! but i did it again, i installed the new mod chip in the new ps2, and.... IT WORKS!!! man the tension during that first boot up was so thick you could cut it with a knife. but when i saw that matrix logo on my tv, it all melted away like a sweet chocolate fondue....... and now i think i'll go make myself a cup of coffee, mmmmm that sounds good, thanks for reading, lol

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

just a little update, i came up with a way to keep the reset pcb from flopping around, and here it is:

i just attached some single strand 22 awg copper wire to areas of the pcb's grounds, and soldered those to the top plate, running the ribbon cable underneath. and up the other side. i think it works pretty good, and it keeps everything out of the way :wink:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am

Just read up on your project, really great work so far. Good luck, it sounds like it's going to be a good portable.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:35 pm

well i certainly hope so, lol. thanks for commenting

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:52 pm

That just looks cool.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 pm

it suddenly occurred to me that i havnt given any thought to what im gonna name this portable. all the portables i see being built these days have some cool name attached to them, and i want mine to have a little bit more than just the generic "PS2p", or whatever. it doesnt have any particular theme to it though, and thats what makes it difficult. i was thinking maybe, "PS-Blue", because of the controller LED, or maybe even "Matrix Portable" on account of the mod chip im using. but honestly i'd love to hear other peoples ideas, im sure anyone here could come up with better names than me :lol: :lol:

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 pm

surmise to say there really isnt anything out of the ordinary about it, i mean other than the fact that its a portable version of a stationary game console :lol: . however my favorite PS2 game is Kingdom Hearts 2, and honestly, i had thought about lightly themeing it that way, sort of like those special edition PSPs they release for certain games:

if i could get ahold of a decal maker i might be able to do that. who did you have make the logo for yours??

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 pm

yea i know you drew it yourself (very well i might add), but i was asking if you got someone, or some company to print it specially for you out of gloss plastic, or vinyl, or something specially designed to be used as a case decal. not just paper

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:12 am

ahahaha, dude i know exactly what you mean. im such a bloody perfectionist with this thing i'll be suprised if i ever get it the way i like it, lol.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:18 pm

hey everyone, again i just have a little update for you on some recent innovations with this project. i came up with a variation on hailrazer's ribbon cable extension method http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=33728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. first of all, im sure that method funtions perfectly fine, but i was never really sold on the idea of jamming two 24 pin .5mm ffc cables into one slot, firstly, because it puts extra stress on the zif connector, and second, because those contacts are so small, and so close together, that it just seemed all too likely that i might make a mistake, and they would short out. so with all that in mind i designed this:

taking a few old laser modules from other dead PS2s (i had a lot), i used a clothing iron to desolder them from their boards, lined them up and soldered them together, pin to pin. i may or may not do the same for the 12 pin 1.0mm spindle motor ffc, just because the contacts are far enough apart that it shouldn't pose a problem. anyway i hope you like my idea, this concludes our broadcast day.... click :lol: