Tritons GCP Saga HOLY CRAP UPDATE 01/28/09!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
Tritons GCP Saga HOLY CRAP UPDATE 01/28/09!

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:23 pm

BUMPED FROM THE DEAD! lol

figured i might as well start one of these! i havent done much on it so far because i dont have extra controllers and i am waiting on some extra gamecube stuff before i really jump in headfirst but i will put everything ive done so far in this post and make a new post in this thread for every significant peice of progress hereafter, probably not much new for several days until i get my extra cube and spare parts!

*removed the serial and data ports, the power board connector is next to be removed then the bottom will be bare

*flattened the heatsink several different ways, first with pliers and a small vice then a larger vice then finally with a piece of steel as alever and a hammer, got it to a bit less than half original height, reduced it around a quarter inch give or take

*modified the connector for the disc drive board so its not as tall as previous to match the reduced height of the heatsink.

waiting on gettin the extra stuff before i start delving in to disc drive mods but still thinking about it but according to my measurements and everything my GCP will be UNDER 3.75" thick which is pretty damn nice, turbo or any who has made one what were your thicknesses? any tips or suggestions welcome. i might start posting pics when i start work on the case, i have a few ideas for it but nothing solid, will likely be using subC batteries when i get to that point somewhere between 6600 and 9000mah if i can afford the 4500mah cells lol
Last edited by Triton on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:30 pm

progress report 4/30/07:

did a little work on the cube today. got the heatsink reattached and a few more connectors(power daugher board ) disconnected and the daugherboard mostly wired up today, projected case dimensions

2.75" thick, depends on disc drive hackability
6"tall
8-10" wide aproximate rough guess, will have a more accurate number when i get my controllers and gut them and figure how much room they take.

will almost 100% certianly be using subC rc car batteries 2 in parallel for somewhere between 6600 and 9000mah depending on how much i want to spend. will get a stepup reg or something like that for the audio line or possibly use a seperate battery for it.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Tue May 01, 2007 12:34 am

Nice to see someone else doing a GC portable! Keep us posted man. :)

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Tue May 01, 2007 5:09 am

Sounds good! Keep it up, and keep us posted. Any pics/design ideas?

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu May 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Progress report 5/24/07

we find our hero in good spirits! :lol: i got (most of) my spare parts today and my controllers a day or 2 ago so we are officially moving forward again! i have found a suitably small 5v fan from a dead laptop for cooling purpouses (should be adequate) and have made some progress in other areas as well. the design is in preliminary stages (aka mostly figured and still in my head) but looking very good! the dimensions will be approximatly 10" wide by 6" tall and 3.5" thick or less possibly as thin as 2.75 or more likely 3". i am hoping this will be able to run from 7.2v batteries but more likely than not i will have to run them in series for greatly reduced battery life.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun May 27, 2007 5:30 pm

progress report 05/27/07

when we last left our portablizer he was in good spirits having aquired the needed parts to begin anew on his portable gamecube! and now progress has been made! ive got a good portion of the case worked through and i would consider myself about 25% done with it, i have the dimensions pretty well finalized and thins are going quite well, will being wirin the controller boards today! this portable gamecube is 3.25" thick! and now for the moment you have all been waiting for PIX OMG!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun May 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Beautiful. Serioulsy, man, if you can survive the electronics and use your amazing bondo skillz, there's no reason this won't turn out to be the best GCp ever.

CTFan

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun May 27, 2007 5:52 pm

looks like its about the same thickness as mine was. looks good so far triton. cant wait to see it all patched up. you should throw a xenogc chip in their

they are something like 8$ and really small wont have to9 worry about scratchin up discs when you bring them with you either :)
http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/dd-gc-xeno
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sun May 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Thats niiiice man. Cant wait to see the finished product its gonna be crazy. Thats got to be the best GCp I have seen so far.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun May 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Nice! That thing looks amazing.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon May 28, 2007 5:38 pm

progress report 05/28/07

woohoo! a progress report two days in a row! i have some to report and more pics! got more case work done and made sure stuff was going to fit ok (it will for the most part) only issue im working to solve is the controller plug board, its kinda big so i am going to have to adjust for that, got the case more squared up and made sure it was going to screw together well, got some cutting done added the psone screen front, its very nice! *thumbs up* (lol borat) well heres what you all came to see ZOMG! PICS! sorry for the quality, my camera makes up for better color and no glare without flash by going out of focus! POS!

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 pm

I want to eat that.

(Good thing.)
Valve is the best company.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Tue May 29, 2007 1:18 am

Lookin' good so far Triton... I mainly just wanted to post here so I could subscribe to this thread and keep track of your progress. :P

Edit: And now I just realized that I could have just clicked the subscribe link at the bottom of this page... >.>

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed May 30, 2007 7:01 pm

progress report 05/30/07

did more work today filling gaps and structural things! got half of the mounting pegs for the cube mobo made and the controller port board cut down and fit into place (still need to wire the battery and reset back onto it). got some wiring done on the controller and all of that figured out and reinforced the front of the case with weld epoxy (all i had, better than hotglue!) it made it much sturdier! progressing smoothly! will finish up on more of the wiring tomorrow, the power board and controller board then test and make sure it all still works!

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu May 31, 2007 2:15 am

Are you going to use a 12V step-up regulator for the audio so you can power it off a lower voltage?